Sleeping With the Enemy

Start from the beginning

“Shut up.”

“They probably don’t like all this noise you’re making. We should go for a walk and come back in a few hours.” I suggested.

“Walk? Really?”

“We can collect some berries or something. Maybe a marinade for the mystery meat that walks into our trap.”

Our trap?”

“I… collected the stick.” He laughed as he slung the pack over his shoulder.

“Alright then.”

We started to walk away from the meadow. I have no idea how we’ll get back but Caius assures me that he knows his way around a forest. I made sure that my knives were in the perfect position to make a quick grab if I needed to. Anyone could be anywhere, I’m sure Caius was doing the same thing.

We managed to find a patch of berries and I picked a few blueberries and popped them into my mouth. I looked over to see Caius collecting some berries in his hand and I walked over and slapped it, sending the berries flying in all directions.

“No.” I said calmly and walked past him.

“Hey! What the hell? Don’t think you can tell me what I can and cannot eat. Are you afraid I’ll ruin my appetite?” I raised an eyebrow and he picked another one and popped it into his mouth.

I turned away and rolled my eyes. “They’re poison.”

I heard him couch up the berries that he had arrogantly popped into his mouth.

“Well why didn’t you just say that?”

“You were too busy scoffing poison.”

“If they’re so poison then what do they do to you?” he asked.

“Well, one or two won’t kill you; you’ll just feel a little off. Three or four will give you a bit of a stomach ache, five or six will make you throw up violently and permanently scar your throat, and any more than that and it will burn through the lining of your stomach and anything else it can touch while it mixes with stomach acid, creating a nasty concoction that literally burns you from the inside out.” He looked at me with disbelief.

“Well thanks, but you could have just let me die; it would make it easier for you in the end.”

“Not really, it’s a pretty gruesome way to die.”

“And I’m fascinating company?”

I wavered my hand and pulled a questionable face. He nudged me with his hip.

“How do you remember all this stuff?”

“I’m very intelligent.”

“Oh is that all?”

“I have a brilliant memory.”

“Apparently it’s not.” He smirked.

We wandered through the forest and I collected a few bits and pieces from plants. I also picked up some dry wood to make a fire for later. We must have been walking for at least two hours, and I didn’t even notice that we had turned around when Caius led us back to the meadow.

“You really do know your way around the forest.” I said.

He dropped his pack and headed over to his trap. I started setting up my dry wood for a fire. A few moments later, Caius came back holding up a scruffy grey creature and grinning wildly.

“You up for some meat?”

“Oh god, what is that thing?” I started to feel like a Capitol girl again as I turned my nose up.