+39+

-third person pov-

pete, brendon and halsey walked back to the waiting room in silence. it wasn't awkward - but it wasn't comfortable either. it was sad, if that's a way that you can describe a silence. halsey was the strongest of the three. she'd been brought up to think that crying was weak. of course she never judged her friends for crying, but she always tried to hold in all of her tears until someone wasn't looking. she wasn't entirely sure how she wasn't crying - but there were definitely tears in her eyes. pete was constantly wiping away tears that were escaping with one hand, and with the other, he was pinching the tip of his nose and had his head tilted back slightly. he was trying so hard to stop crying. but that was impossible. 

brendon's face was expressionless. his eyes didn't show any emotion - it didn't even look like he had tears in his eyes. to anyone else, brendon looked like he didn't care - but he did. so much. the one person that knew pretty much everything about him was in a coma. he'd shut down. his friends knew this, but he was scared that they didn't. he was scared that they thought that he was selfish. but of course they didn't. brendon was so broken over this that he couldn't bring himself to comfort anyone else. and that was okay. everyone knew why. 

eventually, the trio reached the waiting room. everyone looked... different. people were so used to seeing them smile, laugh and joke around with each other, but this was completely different. all of them were in tears or close to it. the only one that looked somewhat remotely normal was billie joe - but that was honestly to be expected. he didn't know ryan as well as everyone else did. he was their headmaster, so why would he be as close to ryan as his friends were? but there was an element of sadness to him. 

halsey, brendon and pete sat down in their original seats. no one spoke to them - the people closest to them just tried to comfort them by rubbing their backs. there was really nothing else that they could do, really. by now, patrick, tyler, josh, gee and frank (the short one) had got up and were walking down the corridor to the room that ryan was in. just like the others, they decided to go in one by one. they didn't really know why - it just felt right.

-patrick's pov-

"ryan, why? that's all i want to know. how did life get so bad for you? i should've seen when you started to feel upset. please be okay. well. please wake up. i know that everything won't go back to normal after this - no matter how we try. when we constantly check up on you, please don't get mad at us. we just won't want a repeat of this. and you probably won't like this... but, uh... you have to have therapy after you wake up." i looked at ryan. i was pretending that ryan could hear me - he just didn't want to reply.

"it's for two months or something. they generally make you stay here longer, but they don't rekon that you meant to put yourself in this state - due to the other... marks you made not being anywhere near as deep as the one that bust the vein. i better make this quick, seeming as everyone else wants to see you and talk to you before visiting hours are over. look, if you ever feel like this again, please try to open up - even just a little - to one of us. don't worry about us judging you, because we won't. we want to help you. remember that." i got up and left the room after that. i couldn't think of anything else to say.

-tyler's pov-

"ryan. i-i don't understand. i thought that this was all getting better. i thought that we were staying clean together. i'm confused, ryan. was it something at home? it wasn't school, was it? at least one of us is in each class with you - nothing's happened. was it us? oh my lord, what if we did something wrong? what if one of our antics made you feel like this? you would tell us, right? i... i just... want you to wake up ans give me all the answers to these questions." i rubbed my hands over my face and sighed. i didn't know what to do. everything seemed to be falling apart, even though only one major thing had gone wrong.

"what was so important that you couldn't tell us? ryan, you mean a lot to all of us. none of us can stand this. i wish that you could see that waiting room where every single one of us is there. we heard the news from your mum this morning. it was a pretty funny conversation before we knew. i'm glad that your mum told us though. it would've been much worse if we'd gone to school and you weren't there and no one knew where you were. please wake up. i don't think you know how much we all need you here. i don't think any of us realise how much we need each other. we don't realise any of that until something like this happens." after that, i decided that i should let either josh, gee or frank come in. i'd spent a lot longer than patrick in here - i think - and everyone else still needed to see ryan.