Chapter 9: Azariah | Changing & Shocking!

Title: Changing & Shocking!

POV: Azariah

I trudge down the aisle, looking for some presents for Jennifer. One more week and it’s her birthday. I want to surprise her.

Man, I’m completely in love with her.

Who would have thought that I’d be in her love spell?

I fail to find one, so I head to the bookstore. I should buy a book, for my English class. I head to the poet section, and grab ‘How Do I Love Thee?’ by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.

I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;

I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use

In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

With my lost saints, I love thee with the breath,

Smiles, tears, of all my life! and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death.

Hmmm, I think. This suits my love for Jennifer. Sounds cheesy, right? Who would have guessed that I’m a romantic at heart? I just didn’t know. I’m thinking about her right now.

What is she doing this time? At this time?

Suddenly, I remember Jennifer, our first meeting. It’s not nice, I must admit. But it has left us something remarkable. It may not be cool, but it will be in our mind forever. Because what has happened at our first encounter is unforgettable.

I’m hungry, so I go to the bar nearby. I sit on the high chair, and order some drinks. The guy beside me looks troubled, so I ask him what’s wrong.

“I’m getting married.” He says. “I don’t even like the girl.”

“That’s fucked up, dude,” I say. “Sorry. Did you, um, get her pregnant?”

“No,” he said simply. “Make up wedding. My parents planned it. Business.”

I huff. Is it even possible nowadays? Make up wedding? Just because of business? I pity him, knowing that he’d be damned. That he’ll be damned. “My name’s Azariah. Who are you?”

“Mason. Thanks, man. See ya’ soon.” He pats my back and goes off.

The hell, he’s getting married to a woman he doesn’t love! How uncool is that? Me, I want to get married to a woman I love. I drink the glass of water, pay for it, and go off.

I hope Mason could love the girl, I wish.

I get back to the campus and help my friends do their assignments, which is very annoying. I slap Ajax on the beck and he yelps. He’s being weird right now.

I make fun of Hilton, and every joke I make, Pepper glares. She doesn’t want me to make fun of her true love, Hilton. I chuckle.

Somehow, being their clown makes me happy. I thrust motion at Ajax and they all laugh expect Ajax, who knows nothing. He looks up at us, and frowns, then gets back to work. Pepper makes a face.