Is It True?

Tyler and Josh got home from their silent drive home. Tyler wondered why the red-haired boy seemed to be so distant and unresponsive. He tried making conversation but Josh refused to comply and it felt very unnatural.

"What do you want for dinner?" Tyler asked, setting down his things.

"I don't know," Josh retorted with a very angsty tone laced in his voice.

"Jeez, Josh, what's up with you? You were fine not that long ago," Tyler questioned.

"Is it true?" Josh questioned randomly.

Tyler looked around for a moment before looking back at Josh with worry on his face, "I-Is what true?"

"Are you gay?" Josh asked, a hint of fear and anger in his voice.

"W-Where did y-you hear that?" Tyler tried leading away from the question. It wasn't that Tyler didn't trust Josh but he didn't know how the older boy would react.

"That stupid forehead kid you work with."

"He's not stupid, Josh," Tyler responded, calmness in his voice.

Josh rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Is it true, though?"

Tyler let out an elongated sigh, looking down and back up at Josh with hopefulness in his eyes.

"Yeah, i-it's true. I-I," Tyler stammered, his eyes beginning to fill with tears.

Josh, without hesitation, pulled Tyler in for a hug, stroking his hair and calming him down with quiet hushes.

"Tyler, it's okay," Josh said, calmly.

"I-I s-should've told y-you, P-Please don't b-be mad," Tyler said between sobs.

"No, no, no. Why would I be mad? I'm a little surprised but, I'm not mad."

Josh was frustrated, not with Tyler, but with himself. How could he have not seen it? Honestly, Josh was a little bit joyful and he had no idea why.

"I'm sorry, Josh," Tyler looked up at the older boy with puffy eyes, swollen lips, and a red tint spread across his cheeks. All Josh could do was look back at him with his mouth slightly agape. 

Tyler was art.

"Josh?" Tyler looked at him wondering why he looked so out of it.

"Wh- Oh, no," Josh said, snapping out of his daydream, "You don't need to apologize. Who else knows?"

"Honestly," Tyler wiped his tears and pushed himself off of Josh's chest, "You're, like, the last person to know," Tyler chuckled softly.

"Really?" Josh said, slightly surprised and kind of angry that his best friend didn't tell him sooner.

"Y-Yeah, I'm sorry," Tyler replied, wiping away more tears.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I-I guess I thought you'd be mad," Tyler shrugged.

Josh grabbed Tyler's hands and looked into his eyes. "Why would I ever be mad?"

Tyler started breathing rapidly, his heart fluttering as Josh's dark brown eyes stared deeply into his. He shrugged again slightly in response.

"I'm just glad you told me," Josh smiled. He looked intently at Tyler and it was like he couldn't look away. His cheeks were a light shade of crimson, his lips looked so plump and were a dark ruby color, and his eyes were the most beautiful shade of brown. 

Josh's daydreaming was interrupted by a hand waving in front of his face.

"Hello? Earth to Josh?"