Chapter 4 - Mocha

I was back at school listening to Darcy apologize for the one hundredth time about ditching me at the party

I was back at school listening to Darcy apologize for the one hundredth time about ditching me at the party. Even though I confirmed numerous times that it was understandable and I wasn't mad at all, she still pushed the topic. 

"Shut up, Darcy, Seriously, it's fine," I say.

She gives me a small apologetic smile. But behind it, I knew she was still trying to ramble. "I just felt so bad as I drove back home, and if I texted you, I thought you wouldn't want to reply."

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad you didn't get into trouble," I say.

She chuckles sheepishly. "I ended up scratching my car with someone else's car, when I was backing out of the parking spot. So I have a mark on my car, and my parents want me to pay for the damages myself."

"You're so dumb," I snort.

"Yeah, but how did you get home anyways?" she asks as she stuffed her textbooks into her locker.

"Vincent gave us a ride home, actually," I said.

Darcy's eyes were gawking in practical awe. "What? Shut up!" Darcy squeals. "What happened?"

"Well, when you left me, a cop almost got me, and Vincent dragged me into a bathroom, and we escaped through the window. He said a friend would pick us up from a park, and so he told his friend that they would be driving us home," I say with a shrug.

"Did you guys talk more in the car?" She asks with a curious glint.

"Not really. I was mostly annoyed that they had been calling me a Debby Downer all because I asked Daniel not to smoke in the car," I say.

"I don't see why that's a bad thing. I mean, my mom would kill me if she smelled anything on me too," Darcy says, agreeing with me.

"I haven't seen either all day, and Summer has been avoiding me as well. She left for school early in the morning," I say.

"Well, it looks like that's come to an end," Darcy says, staring behind me.

I turn to look, and see what she is staring. Vincent and Daniel were strolling through the front doors laughing about something. Right behind them was Maxine and her well-known friend, Sasha. They are wearing color-coordinated outfits; a pastel pink top and some white bottoms. Maxine is wearing a cropped, long sleeve, fuzzy shirt and a white mini-jean skirt. Sasha is wearing a short sleeve polo baby tee and some light-washed jeans. They were oblivious to the entire hallway staring at both of them. As Vincent was getting closer to where we were standing, he looks up briefly, and we make eye contact. He wipes his smile away and his gaze lowers. Once he's a few feet away from me, his smile reappears, and laughs at what Daniel says to him.

What was his actual problem? I'm sure what happened on Saturday couldn't have affected his attitude towards me. The bell rings for the last class of the day, and I dismiss myself from Darcy as we go our separate ways.