Chapter 20 - Reunion

The city was only an hour away from where the prison was located

The city was only an hour away from where the prison was located. We would be meeting with a man that was representing Vincent's dad, but Vincent wanted to ask Maxine's dad to take over the case, seeing as he had a record of always winning his cases and would most likely be able to find more useful evidence compared to the man that was appointed to his dad.

I could tell he was nervous as he kept shaking his leg up and down as we waited for the corrections officer to let us inside the visiting room. I grab the hand that was on his thigh and interlace my fingers with his and he immediately stops. His blue eyes that were filled with worry glance at me and soften. A corrections officer finally calls us up and tells us the basic rules of visitation. We enter a room with other people that are talking to other prisoners. All of the men are wearing a dark blue uniform, hand-cuffed to the table as correction officers walk around the room.

He leads us to an empty metal square table with four metal chairs around it. We sit down and wait for another officer to bring Vincent's dad to us. I look around as I watch men of all ages talk with their family members, and the scariest part is that some seem like they wouldn't have committed a crime. I can only imagine how many years they have been stuck here and how many more they have left.

"You have an hour," the officer says before motioning over another officer who's holding onto a man that looks very identical to Vincent. They share the same black hair and bright blue eyes. They have the same jaw structure and the ink swirling around their arms. Vincent's tattoos range from roses and random sketches to skulls and crows. His dad was covered in american traditional tattoos.

Vincent immediately stands up and locks eyes with his dad. "Dad," Vincent says quietly as if he couldn't believe that his father was right in front of him.

The man wipes his shock off and nods at the acknowledgement of his son. "Look at you, you're a man now, Vinny," he says with a smile.

"I'm only eighteen," Vincent says with a laugh.

His dad looks at me and gives me a polite smile. "And are you the girlfriend?"

Vincent lets out a chuckle. "We're working on that. This is Charlotte. We go to school together."

"Nice to meet you Charlotte," his dad greets, "I'm Anthony."

"It's nice to meet you as well," I say with a smile.

He sits down and the officer makes sure his handcuffs are chained to the table, not able to reach out to us. Both of us sit down facing Anthony.

"I didn't think you would actually come. I can't get over how grown you look," Anthony says.

"Well when Harvey came to me about your situation he let me know what was going on about your case," Vincent says, "I wanted to make sure the story checked out and it wasn't just about money."

"I'm still glad you're here but I missed out so much on your life," Anthony says with sadness in his voice. "I never stopped wondering about you and what kind of life you were living. That's why I got Harvey to try and find out."