Chapter 1 - Cupid

IT'S VALENTINES DAY

IT'S VALENTINES DAY

Every couple had gotten each other gifts and affection as the singles would stride around them to get to class. Many took the opportunity to try and outdo the other couple nearby with a large bouquet of flowers or a five-hundred-dollar gift card to some high-end store. Others took it up a notch and actually bought them something from that high-end store like a twenty-five hundred dollar bag.

I walk straight to my locker and flick the pink balloon stuck to my locker out of the way. The student body decided to celebrate the holiday by throwing a dance in hopes of fundraising money for improving parts of the school. Lord knows how many times the handles have broken off from doors and faucets, causing a mini flood. I wasn't planning on going, but I knew that Darcy would probably want to go.

"Did you hear about Susan's gift?" I hear Darcy say as she stands right next to me.

I shook my head. "What was the gift?" I ask. I wasn't too intrigued about what it could be. But if I didn't ask, I'm sure Darcy would've told me anyway.

"Chase gave her a flipping car to celebrate six months," Darcy says, "Isn't that so stupid?!" She was clearly jealous.

"Chase is the rich kid here. Of course, he wants to flaunt that kind of money." I say, gathering my chemistry notebook. "Guys like that don't care about no one except the newest model of anything they can get their hands on."

"You know, I think it's time that we actually get you to go on a date," Darcy says with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "It's about time. With this dance, I'm sure you'll have a chance to find someone," she says with a devilish smile.

"Not a chance. I don't do dances and probably never will," I say, "Especially Valentine's Day dances. I think that has to be the worst thing ever."

"Okay then. Pick a guy that you would actually go out with," she says.

I close my locker and turn to look at the bodies of students walking through the hallway. I spot the mini-groups of cliques as they chat away.

Derek was a cute first base baseball player, but I heard terrible things about his body odor. Sam, the soccer goalkeeper, was just as dumb as a rock. Austin from chemistry was a plain loser, and Beck was going a little too crazy with that black eyeliner. Then my eyes connect with Vincent.

Where did he fit in?

He was hot. Yes. But he wasn't smart, not athletic, and definitely not the type to hang out with the bystanders. He had a reputation but not good enough to hang with the jocks. He wasn't smart enough to hang with the losers either. He was just Vincent.

"Are you having thoughts about Vincent?" I could hear Darcy scoff. "I didn't know you were into the bad boys?"

"I'm not," I say.

"Hey, now there's no shame in that," she says, "He's hot as hell, but it's a bummer that he's basically a criminal. A drug junkie and a sadist."

"What makes you say that?" I ask.