Chapter 13 - Fire

I excuse myself from the bonfire and go to a secluded area as I dial Vincent's contact

I excuse myself from the bonfire and go to a secluded area as I dial Vincent's contact. The line rings about three times until the familiar sound of his deep voice calls out. "Bunny," he says.

"Vincent," I say, feeling unfamiliar to the tongue. It had been days since I spoke his name out like.

"S-sorry for ignoring you," he says with a slur in his words.

"Are you drunk?" I say with a gasp. I guess this is the only way he'll actually speak a word to me for this long.

"Yeah," he says with a giggle. "But I can still think. I-I'm n-not that drunk," he says with a hiccup at the end.

"Vincent," I say with a warning.

"Bunny," he says, "W-where are you?"

"I'm camping with my dad."

"Y-you're not at the dance?"

"Of course not."

He stays silent for a bit. "Vincent?" I call out.

"I'm sorry," he says.

I furrow my brows in confusion. "Why? What are you apologizing for?"

"I thought-but I thought-weren't you supposed to-" he stops rambling and sighs. "Didn't someone ask you out? Isn't that why you never responded to me?"

I sigh. "Darcy gave me those flowers and chocolates," I say with a dry chuckle. "I didn't respond because I thought you were going with Maxine."

"Why the fuck would think I was going with her?"

I shrug and then remember he can't see me. "Because you guys were dating? Remember?"

"But we ended things. She ended things Sunday morning." So then why didn't he tell me that instead?

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask and wait for his answer. He was very quiet for some reason.

"I was going to but I just didn't want it to seem like you were a second thought to ask out to the dance. I wanted to take you, but then I saw those gifts, and I thought that you rejected me because you accepted someone else's proposal."

"I didn't say anything because you never told me that you were going with Maxine or not. She was the one to tell me because apparently you told her that you were asking me out."

"Sorry I didn't take you to the dance," he says softly.

"It's fine. I don't do dances either way."

"When are you coming back? I want to see you," he says. Those five words make my heart hammer against my chest. Butterflies were erupting in the pit of my stomach as no one has ever said those words to me before. Holy shit, what is this boy doing to me?

"I come back Sunday night."

"Then I'll see you then, Bunny." He says and the line clicks.

I hold the phone to my chest and replay those words over and over. The phone vibrates and I pull it away to look at the screen. It was a text message from Vincent.