Chapter XXXXIX ~ Ian ~ Confrontation

Start from the beginning

'I want to say something to both of them.' Anthony looked nervous, but firm in his decision. It was a strange mix, but you could feel the power sheathed beneath the anxiety portrayed on his face. I clasped Misty's hand with one hand and put a hand on Anthony's shoulder with another.

There was a pause.

'It's been a long day,' I finally said.

'Too right,' Anthony replied. 'I think we've got more to explain after this.'

'Same here.' Misty was clutching my hand tight, her knuckles white from clasping it so hard. The atmosphere was tense and nervous, but oddly comfortable at the same time. Pauses didn't matter with these two, there was never any awkwardness. The cab pulled up beside the Katrina. I looked up, watching the stories pile up on top of each other, causing a seemingly endless expanse of windows upon windows.

It was still raining. Over the course of this particularly wet day, I'd learnt not to care. Rain seemed to symbolise all the crucial moments in myself and Misty's relationship. But rain is a strangely beautiful thing, if you really observe every aspect of it. Misty taught me that.

I watched Anthony push open the door and get out. This time, it was my turn to pass some cash into the cabbie's hand (Jesus, we'd spent a lot on cabs today) and I got out of the car myself, stepping straight into a huge puddle. I held Misty's hand so that she escaped the puddle and didn't ruin her heels.

We stopped and simply stared at the huge glass entrance to the Katrina. We'd all separately entered through its doors only a few hours ago. Now united, the prospect seemed somewhat daunting.

'C'mon,' Anthony finally said, and pushed the glass door and entered. The receptionist's eyes widened to see us for another time today, this time looking noticeably more wet. We trudged to the elevator at a snails pace, approaching this task with caution.

'How many floors up were you last night, Misty?' I asked, my hand hovered over the buttons.

'Second floor.' I pushed the button and the door closed, segregating us from the perplexed receptionist. My stomach was wriggling around internally, making me feel even more uncomfortable. But no-one could look as nervous as Misty. Her face was washed white and her breathing was fast as she tugged at her hair. The lift opened and we all stared at the open doors for a moment before realization that we had to get off kicked in. We stepped into the corridor and looked along it.

'Where was Phil's room?'

'Just along here,' Misty replied, pointing to the left. 'Follow me.' Misty walked slowly and slightly shakily, but brought us to a row of doors. 'If this is Phil's...' she said. 'This one must be Chris's. And that means this one is...Lily and Jay's.'

I nodded, looking at the perfectly normal door. As much as I wanted to smash Jay's face in, I was nervous. Something inside of me secretly hoped that they were out so I didn't let down Misty if Jay managed to attack me first.

Anthony nudged me forwards, so I had to knock. Before I did, I heard mutterings behind the door: they were in there...if it was them. I listened in.

'What if they do find another way, though?' a man's voice asked.

'They can't find us, idiot.' I recognized this entirely as Lily's harsh, squawky voice. The sound of that voice used to remind me of unrequited love, messy lipstick-stained kisses and the smell of expensive Givenchy perfume. Now it only filled me with boiling rage.

'Think about it,' the growlier voice said. 'There'll be some way they found us.'

I knocked firmly thrice, and didn't bother to stand back. This wasn't a time for manners.