{Ch.8- Ben's Bright}

"Did you know that only 11 out of 1,000 Americans have your condition?Heterochromia

"Did you know that only 11 out of 1,000 Americans have your condition?Heterochromia." He'd asked me as he flipped through the page of the book.

Ben had come super early this morning to keep me company. John had let him in, it startled me when I saw him enter my room. He had a couple of books in his hand and was hesitant to come any closer than my door way. I had to ease him into the room and sit him on my bed.

"Yes, I did." I smiled at the boy and looked at him as I pulled my knees up to my chest. It was quiet as he flipped through the pages of the books he brought. He came to read to me, since I was sick and all.

"And did you know that most Muppets are left handed? That's because most Muppeteers are right ha fed and need their right hand to control the Muppet." He started again, looking up from his book. He sounded really interested in the random things he knew. I stared at him and wondered why he didn't tell s the real reason he worked on being so smart.

"You're real smart, Ben, how come you don't enroll into some extracurricular programs or something, like mathletes or newpaper?" I asked him, seeing how much of the truth he'd out.

"I dunno, I just sorta hang out this you guys, I never thought I'd be good at all that anyways." He shrugged it off as if it didn't matter. But it did, the world needs a good intellectual like him. He needs to stand out, so he could be appreciated for the person he is. But then again it wasn't my place to tell him that, if he wants to stay in his comfort zone forever then I'll stay with him.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with that, either." I said to him. He smiled at me and the softest of pinks rose to his cheeks.

"You're pretty, too pretty." He said to me. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at him confusedly.

"What do you mean?" I asked him, he just shook his head and tried to look at his book again. I cornered his page and closed the book to make him look at me. I gave him the same look.

He sighed before looking at me, "everyone looks at you and admired you from afar. Most of them for your outer appearance, you're pretty on the inside and that's what makes you so radiant. Like what you did for Beverly, letting Richie stay the night, complimenting me. Being so nice to Eddie... you're so beautiful that you go under appreciated. You, are the most underrated person I've ever met. And you let that be okay." He stopped his speech and looked at me.

I was speechless and I looked at him. I just stared at him, it must've made him uncomfortable since he kept shifting and fidgeting. He was him, she was basically a baby. It wasn't a bad thing, it was actually good, because admits the chaos were clouds like Ben and that's what I always had the time to lean on.

"Hey, girlfriend!" A familiar loudmouth said as he and my group of friends barged through the door of my room.

"Richie, sssshh, she's still sick, remember?" Beverly chastised our friend.