{Ch.1- Vacation}

Summer vacation

      Summer vacation. Somehow it always brought them together.

      Murmurs and whispers could be heard about the girl towards the end of the day. The last day of summer always got the kids of Derrie in their best mood. And somehow...

"Look at her."

"She's hot."

"I think she looks fat."

"She has no business wearing that."

"She's gorgeous."

"Wait until I have her at house."

      The girl just kept her stone cold face and continued to walk to her table. The table that they looked at her at. She put her bag on the table top and continued to read her book. Her reading glasses perched on her nose. Her plump lips separate in the center as she concentrated on the words.

      Her attention was drawn to a new type of commotion when she heard a conversation a little louder than the others. She looked to her right and saw a group of girls talking to another, she had red hair and a nice body,was fair and freckled. She was pretty.

      Moxie? She tried her best to mind her business, but she still starred at the scene.

      "You gonna say something?" A male voice was heard from behind me.

      "No." It wasn't my job, but I oh so wanted to.

"It's like a new you."

      Simon, my brother. He's been through it all with me. I'm grateful for that, very grateful. He's a year younger than me and looked like our dad, acted like our mom. Me? Not-so-much.

       "You've really changed, I never thought you could do it." He said.

      I rolled my eyes and walked towards the doors, on my way there I was suddenly trampled.

      "Ow, dang!" I screamed as I stopped to rub my foot.

      "Ugh, watch where you're going." One of the girls said trying to protect herself.

      "How about you just watch who you talkin to, and I mean that for the both of us." I said gesturing to the red.

      "Ugh, my dad says not to worry about whores whose mothers never taught them matters." The leader said to me. Walking up to me, I squared my shoulders as all attention was on us.

      "Ha, I don't have a mother." I smiled before my face dropped and I slammed my forehead into her nose. I grabbed one of the other girls head and slammed her head into my knee, the other? I'm pretty sure I gave her a concussion when I pushed her into a trash can and knocked the whole thing over.

      I'm not even sure how I did it, I kinda just blacked out. I wasn't really sure of my actions until I was tackled to the ground then dragged out into the hall.

      "Fuck, what'd I do?" I breathed as I looked at my fists and felt my forehead. Blood, and a lot of it. I just hope I didn't do too much damage, I don't wanna move again.

      "Reya and John are gonna flip if they find out." My brother said as he helped my up and outside.

      "Then they won't, you can't tell or they'll-" he interrupted me as we walked right off of campus. I liked down at what I was wearing.

      High waisted blue jeans that flared out just a bit at the bottom, a black crop top with long long sleeves. A belt black, leather, braided belt looped around my waist.

      "Gabe called last night, he wanted to talk to you." I furrowed my brows and nodded, staying quiet.

      Gabe was the only person outside of the home that cared. Not even Reya and John truly cared.

      "What do you think they're like?" My brother asks me as we approach a corner.

      I swung my arm around his shoulder, "kind and courageous. Loving and strong."

      "Woah, sorry!" Someone yelled as the screech of tires were heard. My feet stopped.

      A boy with one foot on the ground and the other on the petal stopped in front of me. He had a bike with a basket on it and it looked fast.

"It's fine, no harm done." I breathed.

      "I'm Mike, Mike Hanlon." He stuck his hand out for us to shake.

      "Simon and Moxie, How ya doin?" I said gesturing between my brother and I then shook his hand. It hurt, but I'd never let him know that.

      "How come you guys are out of school?" He asked, well why was he?

"Uh-"

      "Hey, Mike." A yell was heard from behind us. A group of boys and the red from earlier were coming our way.

     "Let's go." Simon said to me, a hand grabbed my arm before I got too far away.

      "Will I ever see you again?" Mike asked me, his eyes pleading.

      "The next time you'll see me, I'll be on America's most wanted list." I joked.

      He chuckled at my statement, his friends drawing closer, "Bye, Moxie. Simon."

      "See ya, speedy." I joked, referring to him almost running us over. He was a good.

      I blush rose to his cheeks as I walked away with my brother.

Moxie and Mike, hm?

      A car pulled up right in front of us on the street. It was Reya. She rolled down the window and looked at us with sympathy. I never really cared for people who pity me and I think that's what she's been doing for me. She took my brother when he was 11 and I was 12, they only wanted him. But our social worker didn't want us split up. Why? I take care of him, and I always have even before myself. So that's me-Moxie: the new girl, orphan, and caretaker of her younger brother.

This is my life, it's not something that everyone would want, but it's mine. It's me and him, us, against the world. Family.

We got in the car, my brother in the back and me in the front. We passed by some kids that were biking in the road.
      They split when we're started approaching, a few on either side. I looked out my window as we all passed, looking at Mike, the red, and then a boy with thick lenses. I raised my eyebrow as she looked at me, slowly dropping his jaw to a gap.

Vacation.