Seasons Come and Go-phan

Boys and girl of every age
Wouldn't you like to see something strange
Come with us and you will see
This our town of Halloween

Phil walked through the forest, his hands in his pockets. His breath fogged in the crisp air and leaves crunched beneath his feet. He took no notice of his surroundings, simply walking with his thoughts.

Today was Halloween. The day that teens could dress as sluts and get drunk of their asses and no one would mind. Everyone in his school would be at Chris's party tonight. Except Phil. He could not stand to be around the jocks for one more minute. Maybe that's why he had skipped 5th period and started into the woods behind the school.

A bird squawked loudly, startling Phil out of his daze. He looked around, finally realizing that nothing looked familiar. His eyes darted around nervously, and suddenly his body was aware of how cold it was. "Oh shit this is not good..." He muttered and zipped up his jacket.

"What isn't?"

He spun around to see a boy leaning against a tree, his head tilted in curiosity. The boy had curls of chocolate hair draping his forehead and deep, golden brown eyes. He was incredibly pale, a wearing a outfit of black skinny jeans, a fluffy orange sweater with a black skull pattern on it, and orange, white, and black striped converse.

"Someone's getting into the Halloween spirit..." Phil said, staring at the strange boy, who smirked. "Oh no you have it all wrong. You see, I am the Halloween Spirit and it's you who will be getting into me." His devilish grin widened, showing bright white teeth and a tongue peeking out between them.

Phil snorted. "Okay one, no innuendos please. And two, what do you mean that you are 'the Halloween spirit?'" he asked, making air quotes with his fingers. The boy's smirk fell and a slight frown took it's place. "I'm the essence of Halloween. The spirit. My life force is tied to Halloweentown."

"Right so you're crazy. I'm just going to go, call someone?" Phil said, stepping back and reaching towards his pocket. "No please don't do that!" the boy shouted. "Look I'll explain everything, just don't call anyone. Okay? I'm Dan what's your name?"

"Phil....are you sure you aren't crazy?" He said, slipping his phone back into his pocket. Dan nodded. "I-I- yes. Here, follow me. I'll show you Holiday Hollow."

Holiday Hollow was a ring of trees, each one with a different holiday themed door. They sat in the middle while Dan explained his life. He could only leave Halloweentown on Halloween. On that day, he would gather energy and light from the candle-lit pumpkins that people set out, and the life of Halloween would continue for another year. It was a tradition that lasted centuries, ever since Halloween had earned a door in the Hollow. The rest of the year he spent helping the other residents prepare for the big celebration. Phil was quiet throughout the whole thing, listening to Dan talk about what it was like, being allowed into the human world once a year.

When Dan had finished talking, Phil spoke up. "Want to see a real teenage Halloween party?" He offered. Dan nodded excitedly and they walked to Chris's house. Dan would never admit it, but that night with the human Phil was the best Halloween he had ever powered.

A minute before midnight, they stood in front of the Halloween tree. "See you again next year?" Dan asked, desperate to have a friend other than the monsters of his homeland. Phil nodded. "Of course I will be."

Bright orange light enveloped Dan as the clock stroke twelve. Phil stood for a moment looking at the pumpkin on the door. He glanced around the circle, at the heart door and the tree door, the turkey door and the firework door.  He left the clearing, his heart growing heavy once more.

The next year, Dan waited by the tree for Phil to arrive. Just when he had lost hope that Phil would ever come, footsteps grew louder. Phil appeared on the edge of Holiday Hollow, panting hard. "Told you I would be here."

This is Halloween, this is Halloween
Pumpkins scream in the dead of night
This is Halloween, everybody make a scene
Trick or treat till the neighbors gonna die of fright
It's our town, everybody scream
In this town of Halloween

_______________________
I had fun writing this. I'm in the dark, using the light of the TV while my family watches Iron Man. I was just scrolling through creepy quotes on Google and found the Halloween town song lyrics and immediately thought of this.