I'll Fight For You part 2-Lams

Part two! I feel kinda like I could turn this into a book but I'm not gonna. It is probably going to be three parts or four parts though.

_____________________

John slowly awoke to see a green cloth over his head. He blinked, confused as to where he was. The memory of sneaking away and joining the army slowly came back to mind and John mentally groaned.

John you idiot! What if we get caught? This has to be your worst idea yet, excluding the time we dressed up in trousers and did everyone else's chores.

John sighed and sat up. He'd slept in his uniform last night, so he at least didn't have to awkwardly ask Alexander to leave while he changed. He glanced over at the still sleeping figure. Not that John would ever be able to admit it, but he thought that Alex was quite handsome.

He stepped outside the tent and took in a deep breath of the crisp morning air. The sun was still rising over the horizen and a slight fog ran across the dew sparked ground. Tents we're rustling as people moved around in them and there were soldiers walking around the camp base.

A smile spread across Johns face. Even though it had been a terrible idea, he'd still done it. He was actually here, as a man, fighting a war. It was exhilarating, the thrill that shivered up his spine at the thought.

John heard movement behind him and turned to see Alex emerging with a huge yawn on his face. Alex shivered and stretched his arms out. "Good morning Johnathan." He said.

"Actually its just John." He corrected Alex. Alex smirked. "Well then Just John, let's find some breakfast, shall we?"

John rolled his eyes. The two of them walked down the row of tents to the giant caravan that held all the supplies and the mess hall tent beside it. The General, George Washington stepped down out of the caravan and a sqeak was heard behind them.

Alex and John turned to see a young man standing a few feet away, who was looking at the General with so much admiration and respect, its a wonder he didn't burst. But the author is nice right now and also very tired, so he remained alive and didn't explode.

"You're George Washington! Its a pleasure to meet you, my name is Aaron Burr, sir I'm a big fan if yours." Aaron said excitedly while enthusiastically shaking the generals hands. General Washington has an amused look on his face as he detached Burr from his arm.

"It is nice to meet you sir, but I'm afraid I have business elsewhere that I need to attend to. Good day." He said kindly and walked off. Alex leaned on Burr's shoulder. "Tough luck." He said sympathetically and Burr glared at him.

Alex laughed and removed his arm from Burr's shoulder. He grabbed John and pulled him closer. "Burr, this is John Laurens, John meet Aaron Burr." John nodded at the other man and looked around again. People were beginning to awaken and come out of their tents and soon the camp was bustling with men cleaning guns and eating breakfast while a few woman cooked and did laundry.

Lafayette and another man walked up to them. "Ah I see you have found Hercules." Alex said jokingly to Lafayette. The Frenchman rolled his eyes but smiled. "And I see that you've found Aaron Burr."

Alex grinned cheekily. "Indeed I have." He glaced around and then sighed. "Come along everyone, we have equipment to assemble."

Later that day, around the time the sun was setting, John was just returning to his tent. "Hey John wait!"

He turned and saw Alex jogging up to him. "Aaron, Lafayette, Hercules and I were going to go to a bar in town, would you like to join us?"

John thought for a moment and then nodded. I'll just be careful to not get drunk. The two of them joined the other three and headed into town together.

They stopped outside a pub and looked inside. There were quite a few tables, about half empty, and the bar was stocked with a wide variety of bottles. "This one." Alex decided and they entered it. Aaron ordered them drinks while Lafayette, John, Alex, and Hercules sat down.

"So John, tell us about you." Lafayette said. John shifted uncomfortably for a moment while he thought about what to say. He couldn't really say that he was male, born female, and that he had taken his fathers place in the war. "I'm from South Carolina." is all that came out when he opened his mouth.

Alex raised an eyebrow. "You don't have much of an accent." He said. John smirked.

"Hey y'all, what's gon' on?" He said, slipping into his natural drawl. The others laughed and John grinned. "How's that for a Southern accent?" He asked.

Alex nodded approvingly. "Its alright." John gapsed dramatically. "Alright? Was that not the most amazing accent you have ever heard?" He pressed as hand to his forehead in mock dismay. "I have been betrayed."

Hercules and Lafayette were laughing harder, and drinking the beer that Aaron had just brought over. Alex looked thoughtfully at John.

"John? May I talk to you outside?" He asked and John nodded, suddenly nervous.

They went outside into the dark evening. Alex stood for a moment staring at John. "You were born a girl, weren't you?" He suddenly said.

John bit his lip. "N-no of course not."

Alex gave him a suspicious look. "Yea right. Come on John, I know the signs. I've met other two-spirits."

"There's other people like me??!?" John blurted out without thinking. Alex gave a small chuckle. "Yes John. There are."

John turned slightly red. "Sorry. But where did you meet them? I thought I was the only person who was like this."

"Back on my home island, Nevis. People are little more....accepting there." Alex said slowly. "Accepting?" John asked.

"Yea, two-spirited people aren't outcasts, homosexuals aren't hung, they're just more, well, accepting." Alex said with a shrug.

John's mind was racing. There were other people like him. People who were born in the wrong body. People that knew what it felt like, seeing the wrong person in the mirror. A few tears slipped down his face.

Alex stepped up to him, a concerned look on his face. "Hey are you okay?" John nodded. "Y-yea. I just, there are others." He choked out and smiled. "Others like me."

"May I hug you?" Alex asked, still looking concerned. John nodded, his smile growing wider as more tears fell.

Alex grabbed him in a tight hug and the two stood outside the pub, John no longer drowning alone with his secret.

Others like me

___________________
Wow I definitely could turn this into a whole book. But I'm not. Yet. I'll think about it.