Chapter 37

WARNING: This chapter has drug use and themes of sexual assault.

OLIVIA'S POV

MAY

I look at the clock on my desk and gasp, I'm already late to dinner to meet Bec's new boyfriend, Nathan and there is no way I can cancel.

We have been putting it off for the last month in the hope Harry would start to feel a little better but as the days rolled on and he got worse we decided to do it without him and I would have to just pretend like I'm not in a constant state of panic for the unstable man who has already been at home alone for nine hours.

I try to call him twice to let him know I'm going straight from the office to the restaurant but he doesn't answer and I try to push down the anxiety that I feel and send him a text message. 

I'm relieved as I'm jumping into a black car ten minutes later when he writes back an "ok". At least I know he is alive, I try to justify.

"I'm so sorry!" I rush to the already seated table of friends.

I try to brush away the sympathetic looks I am getting from everyone as I introduce myself to Nathan. 

Bec's right, he is cute!  He has short curly brown hair and golden tan skin and he has a wide smile of perfectly straight teeth that warms his face and touches his dark brown eyes. 

He and Bec look at each other like there is no one else at the table and I take in a deep breath to compose myself as I think about how much I miss Harry. I miss the Harry who disappeared months ago and only surfaces for a few sober, unguarded minutes every couple of weeks. 

"How is he?" Xander asks half way through our sushi platter.

I shrug and glance at Frankie next to me who rubs a hand over my back for comfort. 

As much as Bec is smitten with Nathan and he is lovely, I still don't want to talk about Harry in front of people who he hasn't met or has said is ok. It may seem silly but his privacy is just as important to me as it is to him, especially at the moment.

Everyone seems to understand, including Bec who sends me a knowing wink and no one mentions his name again.

Being around everyone is a like a breath of fresh air and it feels nice to laugh and chat about what everyone has been doing while I have been drowning trying to save Harry from the same fate. 

I join in on the conversation and try to get to know Bec's new man as best I can as we talk about travel and fitness and I tell him semi-embarrassing stories about growing up with Bec. 

I smile at her and am so happy for my sister as she looks so genuinely giddy in love. Nathan and her sit close together, touching in some way throughout the whole night, sharing sweet glances or whispering in each others ears making the other giggle.

As much as my body is at this table, laughing and smiling, my mind is a burning ball of tension, constantly worrying about what Harry is doing or if he is ok.

I check my phone for the millionth time,  "Honey, go home, I understand and I appreciate you coming with everything going on." Bec says softly to me from across the table. 

I get up and hug her and apologise to Nathan as I wave goodbye to the group and all but run out of the restaurant.

I fumble with my keys as I try to get them into the key hole of the front door and I say a silent prayer to whoever might be listening that this horrible feeling I have is completely unjustified.

As I walk through the door I already know my prayers haven't been answered.

Sleazy 80's rock music plays through the speakers in the house and my heart starts to race when I see a black coat flung onto the floor near the entrance.