Chapter 32

OLIVIA'S POV

"Liv! Have you seen my black trousers with the white stripes?" Harry calls across the hallway from his room.

"They're in the laundry! That's that mysterious tiled room at the end of the hallway with the big machines in it." I yell back.

Harry had given Mrs. Stewart two weeks off over Christmas and it was becoming increasingly obvious just how undomesticated he really was.

He had been home for ten days and it was only after he had started borrowing my sweatshirts that I realised he hadn't washed any of his clothes from his suitcases.

"Thanks, you're the best," he smiles as he pokes his head around the door frame of my bedroom.

"Did you think fairies were going to come and wash them for you?" I tease.

"mmm, pretty hot fairy," he winks and disappears down the hallway.

I shake my head as I take off my robe and slip on the burgundy dress I bought for Xander's party tonight. It was the most beautiful red wine colour and had shoestring straps that held up the v neck line. The material was thin and velvety and hung just below my knees, skimming my body in just the right places and being the perfect mix of sexy and elegant.

Frankie's label was doing incredibly well and the e-commerce store I had been employed to assist with had been a success so far. Although it was new, it was generating a large portion of sales and far surpassing Frankie's expectations.

She had rewarded my hard work with a pay rise and promotion and I had treated myself with a beautiful new dress and heels.

"Jesus, you look amazing. New dress?" Harry says stopping at the doorway again, now carrying his trousers I had washed, pressed and hung for him.

I nod, feeling suddenly self conscious. 

Things had shifted slightly since the other night's confessions of love, although we weren't together there was a new level of understanding and consideration. We knew, clearer than ever, where the destination was, we just weren't on the road to getting there yet and the goal in the meantime was to not hurt each other in the process.

We had both invited dates to the party tonight in acts of anger and spite and we knew this was just the start of many nights to come where we would be in this situation. It wasn't fair on either of us, to not be together but be expected not to date either.

We had agreed to keep our interactions and affections with our dates away from each other as much as possible, to cause the least amount of jealousy and pain, and accept that this is the way it had to be for now.

I glance at the clock on my bedside table and pull a faux-fur coat on. 

"I gotta go, I'll see you there?" I sigh as I walk towards him still standing at the door.

"It'll be fine, see you there." He reassures me, hooking his finger under my chin and kissing the tip of my nose as I rush out the door and into one of the black cars waiting.

I had told Craig I would pick him up on my way to the party even though he had insisted on coming to get me. Not only did I not want the awkward one on one moment with him and Harry but I also didn't feel right about inviting him into Harry's home. 

Harry's privacy was one of his greatest concerns and challenges and although he would never ask me not to bring anyone around to the house, I understood it was just part of protecting my friend's personal space whose life happened to be of public interest.

He had made it clear a long time ago that his friends were never to post anything online with him in it, no matter how "private" our social media accounts were and we were not to discuss or disclose any personal matter of Harry's with anyone outside of our immediate friendship group.