Won't Let You Go

::CHAPTER 6::

You see the shelter as the storm, holding wind to keep you warm. Sleep well, my angel.

I run to the sound and feel a hand on my face. The headlights of the car reveal a soft vision if the only person I care about.

"D-Darek?" I choak.

I lift him and let him lay on my lap. He puts his bloody head on my stomach and my tears fall on his cheek.

I hear sirens and feel a rush of fear and relief.

Paramedics take Darek away from me and lay him down on a bed and put the bed in the ambulance. The ambulance drives away, sirens blaring.

I crawl to the sidewalk as the blizzard cleared up.

I sulk in the snow, letting it engulf my shoulders in icy coldness.

I wipe the ice and blood away from my phone and see I have a voicemail. I decide to listen to it.

"Slater...it's Darek. Just um...wanted to ask where you are. You know I didn't mean to hurt you. I never wanted to. I...I really...I care about you, Slater. You are the most beautiful person I've ever met." He sounds like he's on the verge of tears. "I just want you to be happy..."

I look at my phone and let my tears fall on the screen. I walk down to my house, singing a song.

"I'm only human...I plead when I fall down..." The song brings tears to my eyes.

Without Darek...I would be...nothing...

I walk through my front door and sprint upstairs to my room.

I grab my knife and sit on my bed. I point the blade at my thigh.

This one's for Josiah. Cut.

This one's for Haley. Cut.

This one's for Darek. Cut.

I throw my knife across the room and it sticks in the wall.

I check my iPhone and see its 11:04. I realize Mom's at work, Patrick's at daycare, and Rachel's at preschool.

I flop on my bed and sigh. My phone starts ringing.

I don't bother check the number.

"Hello?"

"Slater..."

"D-Darek?" I ask.

"Slater, I need you with me." Darek huffs.

"Okay." I say and hang up.

I pull on my black leather jacket and re-lace my combat boots. I stuff my iPhone in my pocket and sprint to the hospital.

~~~

I walk up to the front desk.

"Hi. Uh...I'm here to see Darek James." I say, playing with my black sweater.

"Darek James..." The nurse starts typing in her computer. "Ah! Here we go. Room 406."

"Thanks." I say awkwardly and run to the elevator.

I step inside and press the button with a big number "4."

When the elevator gets to the fourth floor, I walk to room 406.

I open the door and saw Darek, staring out the large windows, onto the city.

"Darek?" I ask.

He slowly shifts and weakly smiles at me.

I burst into tears and kneel at the side of the hospital bed. I put my head on his lap.

"Darek, I'm so freaking sorry! I'm sorry I'm stupid. Sorry I'm weak. I'm-"

Darek cuts me off. "Slater, stop. I love you."

He leans forward and kisses me, tears rushing down my face.

Suddenly, Darek starts coughing and wheezing. He starts coughing up blood.

The heart rate counter plays a continuous beeping sound. Just one line on the screen.

I can't hear anything. All I hear is that beep. A group of nurses and doctors burst into the room. Two nurses pull me away.

I fight.

I reach toward Darek's bloody body. The nurses grab me and pull me into the hallway. A few nurses and doctors push Darek's bed down the hall and through two big doors that say "EMERGENCY" in big red letters.

I fall to my knees and press my head against the cold, white tile floor, stained with Darek's blood and my tears.

A nurse kneels down and puts her hand on my back. I look up and hug her, even though I don't know her. I just need someone to hold me.

"He'll be okay. We'll do what we can." She says, fixing her blonde, messy bun.

I stand up and walk home. By the time I get home, it's 12:57.

"Slater, why aren't you at school?" Mom asks, feeding Patrick milk from a bottle.

"Don't wanna talk about it." I mumble.

I walk to my room and sit on the ledge of my window, looking down onto the city.

I check my iPhone and see a text.

From: Haley

Meet me at Joey's Pizza at 5:30. Don't be late.

I cringe and fall back in my bed, letting fatigue overwhelm me.