Get Away From Here

::CHAPTER 4::

Everybody's got a dark side. Do you love me? Do you love mine? Nobody's a picture perfect. We're worth it. You know that we're worth it...

I look out the window. The cold, January snow coats the ground. It's ice cold, except for Darek's arm around me.

I shift away.

"Something wrong?" He asks.

"No. Just...nothing." I sigh.

The butterfly on my wrist is fading.

"Darek?" I look up.

"Yeah?" He asks, wanting me to speak.

"What happened at your old school?"

He pauses. "I...I um...I ran in front of a bus because of what was happening. I was beat up everyday. It was too much." He snuggles me in closer.

"I cut a lot, too. I had lost a lot of blood, and most of it was splattered around in my room.

"Anyway, one day, I called my mom and told her I was doing an after-school activity. I ran outside and waited for one of the school buses to speed by.

"One was coming. I ran in front of it and let it flatten me. I had a severe cut in my thigh and stomach. I bled out all over the street.

"The principal called my mom. When she came, she asked what happened. I told her I was walking across the street and a bus hit me. My mom tried suing the school, but they said they hadn't witnessed the accident.

"I was in the hospital for three weeks. I had stitches and surgeries. When I came home, I had to be in a wheelchair for the summer.

I put my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

The bus pulls to a stop. All the kids get out and walk into the school.

Darek and I walk together.

Darek tucks my red bangs behind my ear, revealing my bright, icy blue-silver eyes.

"You look pretty like that." He says.

I blush.

The bus pulls to a stop and all the kids run out. Darek and I walked to our lockers together.

I walked up to mine and gasped. Cruel words were written all over it in black marker.

Freak!

Kill yourself

DIE

And other words and curse words were scribbled on my metallic purple locker.

I covered my face, hiding the tears that streamed down my red cheeks, cooling them.

"What's the matter? Realizing the truth? The truth hurts." Haley says.

A crowd forms around my locker.

Darek clenches his fists.

"Get away from here. This is my fight." I grunt.

He nods and walks away.

"That your boyfriend?" Haley sneers.

I blush. "No."

"Didn't think so! I mean, what idiot would care about a suicidal freak like you?!"

I feel my face go red. I grab her by the neck and throw her to the ground.

She gets up, coughing. She grabs me and pins me against my locker. She puts my wrist between my shoulder blades, causing me to scream.

"What's your combination?" She asks harshly.

"Why do you care?" I yelp.

She puts my wrist at the bottom of my neck. I feel my arm popping.

"34-14-35!!!" I shriek.

She pushes me aside, only so Josiah can hold me in the same position.

Haley opens my locker. Josiah struggles to shove me in. I fight against, but he manages to get me in. Haley punches me in the face and slams the door.

I peek through the slits in the door and see Haley hiss. She sends everyone away and they all walk to class.

I start hyperventilating. The walls are closing in.

I manage to grab my phone from my backpack and dial 9-1-1.

"9-1-1. What's your emergency?" The lady asks calmly.

"Hello? Yes. I'm stuck in my locker. Locker 104. I'm at Duskwood Middle School in New York City. Please! Help...me...!" I gasp for oxygen.

"Remain calm. Help is on the way." She says.

"PLEASE COME!" I cry and hang up.

I drop my phone and feel my head bang against the hook in the back. I gasp for air a few times before blacking out.