Chapter 30

Jack

I needed to prove my father wrong. I needed to find someone and try to make them my own creation. It couldn't have just been anyone. It had to be someone willing to give up their life for a new chapter to begin.

When I met Gabriel, I could see all of that in his eyes. He was the perfect pick. A simple mind, but with great potential. I knew I could shape him into whatever I wished and it would take a while for him to catch on. I believed I could do anything.

At the time, all I wanted was to see what it would be like to play the role of a maker; someone's master. It was blissful... yet at times, the responsibility could be a bit daunting. In the beginning, Gabriel was like a child; he was wild and energetic, yet anytime he would show it, he immediately felt uncomfortable expressing himself in this way. He feared becoming an outcast, which is something I always understood. I only taught him to embrace these traits.

I have been told that I made a mistake, but I always considered Gabriel a blessing. I gave him power, and now I see, a destiny--something of which... my master never gave me.

With Gabriel gone to fulfill his destiny to destroy the realm and my creator, my only objective now is to find my body. There is a tugging sensation as if gravity is pulling me to it. I'm letting it guide me.

It's been quite a while since I've been away from my body. The last time I physically walked among the living was in the 70's. It's a bit of a blur now where father robbed me of my body. Where he basically abducted me. I continue to think it was behind a hotel in Maryland. Surely, Gabriel had to have taken my body away. As soon as I left, I was imprisoned in the realm. My father was going to take Gabriel down soon after, I imagined. Yet, he didn't. He has always been unpredictable. There is a reason for everything, but I could hardly ever grasp his logic.

I've been attempting to step into the third dimension. It's becoming more difficult to accomplish. Hopefully, that doesn't mean I'll be trapped here in the afterlife for eternity. I'm not finished with life yet, even after three hundred years of walking the earth. I will not be at peace until I know Gabriel has completed his mission.

The pull on my spirit body has led me to Gabriel's house in Rockville. As soon as I arrive in a small green car that I hypnotized someone into giving me, I see everything looks different. It's a small wooden cabin with no road.

I get out of the vehicle and I'm very careful about approaching the house. It's quiet and peaceful. Peering through the windows, I notice there is 1800s-styled furniture inside and the fireplace is lit.

"Hello?" I knock on the door.

No answer.

There is no lock, so I go ahead and proceed inside with caution.

I hear boiling water, someone chopping wood, and soon echoic voices of children and a woman calling their names.

"Francine! Christopher!"

"Yes, mother?"

"It's almost time for the seance! Do you want to speak with your grandparents?"

"God damn it, Martha, I said NO!"

Those names...! This is Gabriel's house? This is when his family was still alive...
They're all outside.

I follow their voices and exit out the back door.

I see the two children standing almost nervously by a handmade swing while Gabriel takes a final swing of his ax on the chopping block and then look at Martha as she agitatedly tosses a bundle of logs and wipes the sweat from her forehead.