Chapter 21

Gabriel

As the elevator ascends, I stare at the gray steel doors and think more about how things will and should play out once I get to the 5th floor. It will not be pretty. I know he will face me before I get anywhere near you. This... this is what I need. Everything I do has to be unexpected. The tension building up inside me is like a volcano getting ready to erupt.

Finally, this game is coming to an end.

Finally, I can get you out of here and we can continue where we left off.

There will no longer be any concerns of Reuben. I will have my satisfaction at last.

As I'm thinking about this, I return to the idea of how I've never chased someone for this long or with as much determination. Everyone - everything - has always been within my reach. When Jack left, I did search for him. I traveled everywhere I possibly could along the east coast to find him because I was angry that he left, and he was all that I knew. He wouldn't have gone west. There was nothing for him on that coast. We had settled back in Maryland for a while.

He taught me so much. He gave me more than anyone ever has. I thought about going to England to find him, but my assumptions were that he wouldn't return to that country for a while because all that he owned and desired was here in eastern America. I convinced myself he would eventually come back. Did I think of forgiving him? For the most part, no.

I had to give up my search.

For many years, my walls thickened until they became completely impenetrable. I didn't understand what it was that I felt after he'd gone away - besides anger. There was just a piece missing, and that was it. I decided to turn the other cheek and started a new life.

Jack wouldn't be what he is without Reuben, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Jack. You, you have to remain as you are and I am not allowing that to change. I've never gone to such extremes for a human, but you are my human. Not Reuben's.

You've become such an interesting figure in my life. Why? What does this mean? Why am I starting to feel this way? What have you been to me, besides my little doll to pleasure me whenever I please? Why am I thinking about all of these things? I don't understand what is happening. It's like - it's like a sort of weakness is crawling its way in.

These questions and thoughts cause me to shift my attention away from the doors and purse my lips in annoyance.

It's then, I start remembering your soft skin against my lips; your natural scent like jasmine on a warm spring day, and the heat emanating from you bringing it out more, making it stronger. Remembering your heavy heartbeat, thinking of it pumping all of that blood through you... giving me even more of an invitation to open my mouth over your neck and run the tips of my fangs across that pulse point before biting into you so slowly, maybe gently this time. Your hands would grip my shirt tightly as you gasped and whimpered at my touch.

I can't help slightly opening my mouth with a quiet lustful exhale, my gums beginning to ache with powerful desire. It's as if you're right there in front of me, ready for me to take into my arms and have my way with you.

You've always wanted me, my dirty little kitten. You didn't know it at first, that is until I introduced myself and let you feel me around you... all those nights as you slept. Everything changed so quickly after you subconsciously realized who and what I could be to you. Watching you develop such a strong type of lust you've never experienced before gave me something of the feeling I had the first time I brought that out in someone else. I became your addiction. You wanted me like I've wanted you since day one.

It's true that we speak loudest when we are asleep. Our dreams reveal who we really are; who is most important to us, what we represent in life, who we want to save or destroy. You taught me so much about you just in your sleep.

Ding!

The elevator doors open and I see a large bold number 6 on the wall ahead of me. I look at the buttons panel and the 6 is lit up, even though I pressed the 5th floor button.

"Hmph..." I press for the 5th floor again.

It doesn't light up.

I press it a few more times, repeatedly glancing at the doors in expectation. But they never close.

Taking in a long exasperated breath, I step out of the elevator and look both ways. Why is this place so empty? It's not what I expected at all. Fucking MIND GAMES!

Something loud and familiar, followed by a few blasts that shake the windows catches my attention. Quickly, I go to one of them and see the other end of this wing is falling apart. The walls are crumbling and each piece that hits the ground, the grass around it seems like it's suddenly hit with a wave of death. This place is coming down because I'm here. It looks like this has been happening for a little while, too. I have to hurry.

I back away from the window and look down the hall for a sign to another elevator or the stairwell. There's only the stairwell.

Fine.

I start running down the hall as the building shakes from the disintegrating walls and almost skid across the floor as soon as I reach the stairwell door.

My forehead immediately creases with confusion and frustration.

There's no door?!

"What the fuck is THIS?!" I put my hands on the wall, feeling it up and down and banging my fists on it. It's solid like a door never existed here. "You motherfucker... I'll be glad when I kill you!" I slap it again and push away from it.

Scanning around for another way down, I wonder if I took the elevator down to the 4th floor, maybe then I could get to the 5th...

No.

That would be expected.

There will be another way.