Chapter 29

Jo

How could it have been so simple? I was on my way to save that poor girl, Addison, and then that mad doctor guy 'Reuben' stepped in and let me go. He just opened a way and let me pass through! I didn't believe him for one second until all of this happened—until I went through some kind of terrifying journey and showed up here with my family, alive and well. Nothing has changed since the moment I arrived at... home. No blips in speech, no twitches. Lang and Leila are playing together like they usually do and Elena is doing Elena things... Everything is just normal.

As we sat down for dinner, everyone ate quietly and listened to my explanation. They acted like I was going crazy. It was like I never left at all. Here I am now, alone in our room sitting on my bed just staring at myself in the dresser mirror. I'm just wondering what it was about that alleyway. This memory of getting shot and being left for dead there is something I clung to the whole time I was in that horrifying place. It was something that felt all too real.

It STILL feels real.

Why would Reuben do this? He's the very definition of evil. From my understanding, he doesn't have a heart at all. That realm, whatever it is, is unforgiving and never allows a moment of kindness and good will. There is NOTHING human about that place, despite those who get thrown in. Maybe he did it because... I was disrupting things. He got tired of me being there.

At least I'm alive. I'm pretty sure I am.

I can't help myself from beginning to cry. I'm just so relieved and glad to be with my family again. It really breaks my heart though, knowing Addison is probably still there—still suffering. What I did feels so selfish. What have I done? This is weighing so brutally on me.

Hopefully, Gabriel did what he was supposed to do and destroyed it. Hopefully, he saved her life and they both got out. Even if he's insane, I wouldn't want anyone to be eaten alive by that realm.

The guilt is crushing me. I have to go on though and live my life. I have to care for my family and pretend none of this happened, because they...

No. Let's face it.

They would never believe me. Nobody would ever believe me. I really do have to find a way to drop this. It's not going to be easy. I know I'm going to have nightmares, and I might see things. Even right now as I'm thinking about all of this, I feel like I'm being watched. I can almost hear all those noises from the patients. My mind is haunted by the image of the nurse, the one I called 'the instigator'. I can't get her out of my head. Her voice and monstrous howling sounds that she made, that face, her skin, and those damned claws—she's there, watching me in this raging, demonic way. When I stabbed her with those scissors, I thought she would slice me open. But she didn't.

I rub my face, sighing to myself and trying to shake this off.

"Jo...? Are you ok?" Elena says as she comes into the room, drying her hands after doing the dishes.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." I look up at her with a small smile. Oh man... this is already a hard challenge.

"You don't look it. You look like you've been crying." She sits beside me on the bed and starts rubbing my back. Her gentle touch and soft, calm voice seems to push away some of the anxiety; it's like a warm blanket being draped over my shoulders. It gives me a feeling of peace and security.

I watch her eyes and lips, trying to be as casual as I possibly can. "Well, what I could explain at the table. That's just on my mind." I gently wrap my arm around her, pulling her closer and kissing her on the head.

She hums a little. "Judging by the faces you made, I know it must have been scarier than you said at the table. Were you censoring things from the kids?"