Chapter 7

My victims are behind me; shouting my name, screaming just like they did as I killed them; why are they here? Why do they haunt me now? What is this fear? These questions flood my brain while I'm chasing Jack. I hear a coarse voice panting, 'Come on! Come on!' He's saying this. I'm starting to get that familiar stab in the back of my head again, and just as it happens the high-pitched whistle returns- Oh fuck, not this again! The low hum is just behind it, a deep pulsing sound panning around me more intensely than before at that cabin. STOP! THAT NOISE, THE PAIN! STOP THIS! REUBEN! It can't be Jack! I hit both sides of my head as I repeat, "No! NO!" He's trying to steer me off the path!

There are things flashing in my peripheral vision; flickering lights. They're spread a good distance from each other. I can't look, I'll lose Jack! The temptation; why is this so difficult?! I feel like someone, or something is manipulating me yet again; it's overriding my conscience. WHERE ARE YOU! SHOW YOURSELF! The more I want to look at the lights, the more the pressure from the hum seems to fade, but as I resist the lights, that pressure builds up even more. There's a voice in the back of my mind telling me to keep my eyes on Jack but another force is pushing that away; it's stronger and it's controlling me. How am I not on my knees? How am I still running? I can't, I CAN'T! I fail to resist it any longer and look at one of the lights on my right; in that instant, I see a basement filled with Victorian-styled furniture and a woman chained to the wall, wearing a torn dress from that same era. The pain is slipping away, the sounds of the forest, the shrill screams are gone. I see bites on her neck and arms, shiny blood trickling down, luring me in. She has such a sweet innocent face, little nose and freckles... She's begging me to let her go, let her live! Her sound... she sounds like you. I'm not running anymore, I'm walking farther into this room... It's drawing me in.

"No! Stay away!" She cries as I move closer, and when I approach her, I reach for her face and look at the bites on her neck. The purples, the pinks around the marks... the dark blood drizzling down- Mmmh... I lift my chin as I breathe in her scent, savoring it. She smells like you. "No more! PLEASE!" she yells. I look at her again. She's shaking her head quickly. I gaze at her chapped lips. Oh... "Would you like a drink...?" Her eyes widen. I grab the back of her head, pulling her hair. She lets out a fast yelp, and I chomp down on one of the bites and suck slowly, pushing myself deeper into her skin. She's jerking in the chains. I smile as she does this against me, trying to get away. Then I take her chin and say, "Here sweetheart..."

"I don't want it- NO! GET OFF!" She tries to kick me and I push into her, smashing her against the wall as I force my tongue into her mouth and caress hers, giving her a taste of her blood. As she cries and whines, I slide her dress off her shoulders and feel my way down her torso, then stab my nails into her flesh. "MM!" Oh darling, how I love that... I lick at her lips teasingly and then trail my tongue down her neck, her sweaty chest and pause between her breasts.

"GABRIEL! DON'T LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!" I stop to hearing Jack shouting at me. I whirl my head around and suddenly I hear the chains break; she screams so loud my eardrums almost shatter. I look at the woman again and she snatches me by the neck. I recognize her right away as one of my victims. Her cheeks have been ripped off; those open areas are oozing with blood and puss. I'm back in the forest and the others are surrounding me. I try to fight back but it's no use. My hands go right through her and I'm unable to use my mist. She's a ghost!

"LOOK AT ME!" Jack yells. I look left and see the Shadow Man in full form, standing there calling me. The woman releases me, screaming and holding her head as she collapses to her knees; she didn't like Jack interrupting her.

The low vibrating hum and the high-pitched siren are back. I hold my head, grunting, and nearly trip over myself as I start racing after him. "YOU WILL PAY FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO US!" She howls. The others are wailing in unison; "WE WILL MAKE YOU SUFFER!" Low guttural voices; rough, callous voices behind me! The lights are flying at me now. I swat at them as Jack turns and starts running again. "JACK!" I call out. It's becoming harder to see. Every time a light comes into my view, it tries to pull me into another vision. I can't let that happen again or they will take me. I don't want to know what'll happen!