Chapter Thirty-Five

Spencer

They carried both Val and Marisa back and my heart nearly stopped. Many of the pack started get frenzied, frightened for their Alpha. Spencer also felt the pull of the shift.

Eyes on Marisa, that is who kept Spencer on two legs. Reaching for Marisa, skin freezing cold, Spencer ordered them to take her up to the room. She ran a quick scan over her Alpha. She opened her eyes. "She needs to replenish what she's lost."

   "Blood--"

   "No." Spencer waved off. "Just rest. Water. Food. And you two to be patient." Val's mates nodded.

   Rushing upstairs, Spencer went to Marisa's side, checking out her eyes. They were pitch black like looking into a pure darkness. There was black dried liquid coming out from her mouth. She sniffed it. "That smells like blood."

   Ryan nodded. "Yeah." He flung his arm out, anxious. "She drained my sister and used her Shaman magic to relinquish the Fae that was destroying her from the inside out."

   "What?" That made no sense to Spencer. She would get the whole story later. Checking Marisa's pulse, Spencer was relieved to hear one, though it was thready.

   "Can you help her? I can't go back to my sis without an update." Ryan kept asking Spencer until she gave the answer he wanted to hear.

   She sat beside Marisa in a chair. Marisa laid still in bed. On Ryan's third attempt, Spencer snapped. "I don't know. Okay. Physically...she is fine. I don't know." Her voice shouted louder than she ever had; especially, directed told her pack. Toward a dominant. "Please." She flung her arm outward. "Leave. Close the door."

   Ryan sucked in his anger. He wouldn't try intimidating Spencer. It wasn't her fault. He knew how much Spencer love Marisa. This was hardest on her. He left without argument, shutting the door.

   Closing her eyes, it took a lot for Spencer to except that this is where they would always resort back to. Marisa risking her life for Val. Val risking her life for Marisa. They were best friends. Asking Marisa to turn her back on Val would be like asking her to stop breathing. It was an undeniable bond.

   "Damn you, Marisa."

~

   There was a knock at the door. "You can come in Drake."

   Spencer was restless. She glanced at her watch. It was after midnight. She hadn't realized she fell asleep, curling beside Marisa in bed.

   "You've been in here hibernating." Drake walked in. She looked down at Marisa's lifeless body. "How are you?"

   There was no point in asking how Marisa was doing.

   Spencer shrugged, after sitting up. She looked over to Marisa. "If Val wants to know--" there was bitterness.

   Drake turned her head away not taking offense to what she heard through Spencer's tone. "Val still hasn't come out of whatever state you'd call it. It's like she's in a coma."

   Abashed for blaming Val for Marisa's current situation, Spencer lowered her head. "I'm sorry."

   There was a soft sigh. Drake held her mouth shut before speaking. "I know it's hard having Marisa jump to help Val on every turn. If you really understood the history of those two..."