Chapter Twenty-Nine

Val

"How many times do I have to repeat myself. I don't want to see her. You're my mother and I'm happy with that. You're more than enough." Val paced continually in her room; her mother and her alone.
Pierce smiled. "As much as it makes me happy to know me being your mother is a good thing...one of the ways to ending whatever is affecting you here..." Pierce reached out pointing to Val's head and then chest... "is to face your internal pain. You have to face her."

"Nor have you faced her."

"She raised you despite--" thinking of how Paula took Val from her, missing out on Val's childhood, Pierce snarled prematurely. What kind of person would take someone else's child? Granted if the parent wasn't fit and it being abusive. That wasn't the case. "This isn't about me."

There was sympathy in Val's eyes. "It is, actually. You think she pisses me off just for me. Yeah, I mean." Val shook her head trying not to cry. She hated crying. "I missed out on you being my mother. I get jealous when I hear stories shared between you, Spencer, and Drake." Val snorted. "Not having a little brother. But also...because I see your pain and I hate seeing it. I hate feeling how much she hurt you."

Pierce was beginning to see. She smiled. "You have your battles to face with Paula." She reached in cupping Val's cheeks. "But I want you to know...you can forgive her. You can learn to accept her in your life again. Don't hold back for me. I'm your mother. I'm not meant to hinder you from growing in here. Healing in here. That's the last thing I want." Pierce used her other hand placing it on Val's chest to emphasize her meaning.

"I don't want to forgive--"

Pierce smiled knowing better. "You could never offend me. Hurt me for wanting to forgive. Only if she's worth forgiving. Don't ever give in too easily."

"But I--"

Rolling her eyes, Pierce laughed z "when will you stop being so stubborn?"

"When I die, I guess." Val felt at peace hearing all her mother said. She was stubborn but Pierce was also right stubborn at making her see the truth. Val was tired of being angry with Paula. She either wanted to let Paula go or forgive her.

"Sit down with her. Get whatever needs to be said off your chest. And then decide." Pierce kissed Val's cheek and walked out.

Val paced. "Decide." She blew out. Her mates walked in soon after.

Perhaps a little a line time with her mates would help her find the answers to her own questions and wants. Maybe not, but she needed some lovingly distractions. Her mates were at the top of that list along with their Cubs.

Marisa

It was after six. Tess walked up from the basement, outside. She ran her fingers through her hair. "I really appreciate you letting me sleep in the basement."

Val waved her off. "You're family." Marisa was her based friend and sister.

"I need to figure out a plan when this is all over...but I am deeply gratified."

   Reaching across the table on the patio, Marisa offered her hand out to Tess. Sitting down, Tess took Marisa's hand. "You are not an inconvenience."

   "Nor are you," Val pointed out to Marisa.

   "Yeah yeah."

  "Are we ready to do this?" Kathleen walked up. "It needs to be tonight."

   "No duh," Marisa smart mouth had to be utilized.

   Spencer came up from behind wrapping her arms around Marisa's waste. "I know as much as I want to come...I'll be in the way."