Prologue

Prologue

          "You are no longer allowed here." The guard stepped in front of Marisa's path. He stood easily four inches taller. He held his hand up not allowing me to speak. "You broke the last guys' collarbone and then continued pounding him." He poked his chest out. "No, lady."

            Marisa balled her fingers; nails digging into the palm of her hand. She needed to let out some steam. It been a rough week and if she didn't fight someone soon, she'd shift without control. When Marisa shifted like that, she held no memory. Glancing around, Marisa noticed barb wires at the top of the seven foot fence shaped around the abandon car lot.

            "Tom, let her in." A man with graying hair shouted from behind the guard.

            "Boss." The guard bickered.

            The boss waved Marisa through. She couldn't help but smirk walking pass the guard. "I promise...I will try not to break anyone's collarbone." She was a smart ass and a bit of a thrill seeker. Spencer would only call her a 'jackass' for that unnecessary and provoking statement.

            Shaking Spencer out of her mind, Marisa blew out a long breath. No time to be thinking about Spencer in a place like this.

            "What's your name?" The older man walked her through another set of fences. There were cars and trucks layered around to block the view to the outside world. Marisa drove to a remote rural town to fight. Less chance of being seen by someone who knew her. It was late, after ten at night. Street lights and a few car headlights lit up the area. "I'm Francis. This is my spot."

            Not giving her real name, Marisa spoke casual. "I'm Lauren."

            He looked over to Marisa, scrutinizing her from top to bottom. He clearly did not believe her. Marisa didn't look like a 'Lauren.'

            "All right. Lauren," he said slow and doubtful. "You have military experience or something? No way you could have handled that guy last week without some military background."

            Marisa said nothing for a while. "I have experience in combat." If fighting vampires and werewolves counted as combat, than yes. Not military. But combat. He didn't need to know what Marisa meant by combat.

            "Hmm." He let go of his mild interrogation moving on to current issues. "Look. Last time...you went a bit too far. But..." he held his index finger up... "you did have the crowd going insane. I'll let you fight. Just...tone it down. Don't need to have the cops breathing down my neck any more than they already do."

            Waving her arms out, she prematurely submitted. Marisa gave him what he wanted to hear. When someone tries to sucker punch me with my head turned, it brings out more of my wolf. "I'm not here to cause trouble." That's what she said at the last place she use to fight until she put three men into the hospital. This time she truly meant it.

            "Good to hear."

There was loud disorienting music that was more of an annoyance than anything. Marisa could hear a crowd of people. Half were cheering, while another, yelling in rage. She was already being mentally drawn into her wolf. Claws dug into her palms. She gritted teeth, sucking in air.

The noise grew with each step. Walking around the fence, Marisa saw the crowd of people, their backs to her as they screamed their mixed feelings. There was a small opening. Marisa came through watching two men fighting. The man without a shirt leaped up, kneeing the other guy in the jaw.