Chapter Thirty

Marisa

Opening her mind, Marisa let it be like a beacon for the necromancer to find her through. Seeing through her shaman eyes, Marisa could see the auras of everyone around. Different colors simmered over them. There was a little darkness from all; Val more than any. Marisa could sense the conflicts inside Val wanting to help her now.

Cold stiff fingers curled around her arm. It was so cold it burned as if digging her bare arm into snow and letting it longer. Marisa yanked it away turning to find dead hands on her. Not the dead. Only a man that was dead. It was the man she killed back at the underground fighting club in L.A. His irises were marble white. He was trying to speak.

Marisa did not pull away. Instead she pressed her hand against his cheek. "I am sorry you are no longer here. I shouldn't have put myself in the position to turn you. You were not meant to be werewolf."

He stepped back as if not sure what to do next.

"You are free." Marisa wanted to take one less spirit away from the necromancer to use against her or anyone else.

The man took a few more steps away finally turning to leave.

She was in the spirit realm. Everything was fussy when it came to the natural living world. She could still make out Tess. Val beside her along with Kathleen and Pierce. They all waited patiently for any sign.

A snarl lingered from a distance. Marisa twisted to find a werewolf within several feet of her; teeth bare. This werewolf had blood staining around its mouth. Her blood. This was the werewolf that turned her. Absently, Marisa snarled back wanting to kill it. She never he'd the pleasure. Fangs out and canines exposed Marisa was ready for a fight.

Somewhere in Marisa's mind she was reminded of her place. Her purpose. The anger inside her subsided. There was no reason to hate this person who was werewolf. Not anymore. She loved being a werewolf. She could still be close to Val. She found Spencer and was able to be strong enough to have her as a potential mate.

Shedding away last residual anger Marisa stood straight and relaxed. It lunged at Marisa going straight through her. The werewolf landed on the other side snarling with confusion and anger building. She was between realms. The act of being to distracted was enough to lure the necromancer to her. She could sense him physically close.

   Anticipation pumped through her veins. Marisa had to take a deep breath to stop from overloading blood into her brain.

   Marisa slipped out of the realm where spirits roamed. Many reached out to her, none she knew of. They called to her for help. Fuck, I'm not a medium.

   Shamans could see spirits like mediums but they mostly dealt with the souls of the living. It was natural to feel other spirits. See them reach for her, begging to be taken to a better place or helped.

   It was like being shoved out of an airplane, skydiving to leave another realm. Marisa grounded to the soul beneath, hands and knees planted into it. She took a few deep breaths.

"Are you okay?" Val stepped forward, looking around a second later. There was something odd that made her wolf want out. She hadn't shifted for a fight in a while. Val usually handed a threat still in human flesh. Tonight would not be the case.

   "He's here," Marisa breathed out harshly, just as growls emanated through the few trees present. Marisa stood, letting her claws shoot out in both hands. "Trust in your new abilities," she told Tess.

   Val took off her shirt; kicking off her pants and took a deep breath before shifting. Her bones contorted, snarling through the pain. Her wolf raked at her insides, thrilled to get out.