Chapter Thirteen

Pierce

Walking through the Fae Kingdom, Pierce found her mate in the garden amongst her nephews. Standing in doorway, Pierce watched mesmerized by Kathleen's love for her family and simply being Fae. She'd shared stories of her years being in this world. No one necessarily taken the role of Fae King or Queen, though Kathleen was living the role without labeling.
Brannan; Christof's eldest living son stood, acknowledging Pierce at the doorway.
A tap on Pierce's shoulder and the smell of wolf told Pierce it was her son. He'd decided to join her.
His boyish features were dissolving into those of a masculine dominant wolf. He still looked his age of nineteen. Difference now; his long arms looked as if he could take on any guy that stepped up to him. His hair was growing out and slicked into a ponytail.
Ryan smiled at his mother very aware of her observing his features. "I'm still me, mom."
Pierce knew that was half true. Her son was still goofy and caring. He loved the outdoors and being so welcoming. He was also now living in more of a leadership role. Ryan was stronger and his role in the pack was increasing. Others trusted him. Leaned on him. No. He was different in all the good ways that made him an amazing werewolf.
Brennan stood tall approaching Ryan. He held out his hand. Sixteen, he always worked hard to prove himself worthy of everyone. It sadden Pierce to see him hard on himself for his father's choices. His Fae leaf shaped pointy ears, stood out. He was clean cut; dimples on both ends of his cheeks. Blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail.
"I would like to join you all."
Immediately, Pierce looked pass Brennan to his auntie.
Kathleen stood, pressing her fingers into her temples. She was irritated. "Brennan. I gave you my answer."
He nodded. "And I acknowledged."
She walked over, standing beside Pierce not displaying anymore patience. "My answer is final."
"No. As long as you don't accept the role as queen...technically, I can get a second opinion." Brennan looked his auntie square in the eyes.
Pierce did not want to get in the middle of family drama.
"You--"
"Never mind the fact that you started joining quests when you were fourteen...I know how to fight. I'm strong, aware, and ready."
Brennan was making a strong argument. One, Pierce could not argue against.
It also seemed Kathleen was beginning to lose her strength to argue.
"You have nothing to prove to me," Kathleen said, softly.
"I know." Brennan stood stoic. "This is for me and my future."
Kathleen turned to Pierce searching for guidance.
Pierce smiled.
Sighing deeply, Kathleen waved her hand out. "Fine. But...you will have to ask the one who is actually doing this specific quest."
Brennan smiled, excited. "Who?" He chimed out.
Kathleen smiled sincerely.
"My daughter," Pierce said.
Light in Brennan's eyes diminished.
"It's not that she doesn't like you, so don't think that," Ryan said. "Val's just...scared," Ryan admitted. If Val heard him say that she'd lose her Shit.
"I can talk to her," Pierce offered.
Brennan shook his head briskly. "No. If I can't face her I have no business going."
It did impress Kathleen to hear him say that.
Pierce spoke up. "First. I'm here because apparently Val needs Nightshade."
Kathleen arched both brows.
"Per dead grandfather request," Pierce added.
"Lovely."

~

Marisa

Tess lingered around, pacing and impatient.
"Are we not moving fast enough for you?" Marisa didn't mind agitating Tess at all. It was quite fascinating.
"What's the wait?"
"They had to run a few errands."
"Is it that important?"
Marisa pointed to the door. "You can go."
Tess rolled her eyes. "Funny."
Shrugging, Marisa sat, relaxed on the couch. "I'm serious."
Tess stopped pacing. "I get it. You don't like me."
"No, I don't."
"Why?"
Marisa shrugged. "You smell like overused perfume."
Tess snorted. "That's a dumb reason."
"Maybe." Marisa bit at her nails, casually looking up toward the stairs. "But, it's my reason."
"Do you have a legit reason?" Tess asked, truly trying to understand.
Marisa entertained Tess serious question. She thought for a minute, not sure herself. She wouldn't admit that. Deep down, Tess reminded Marisa of someone. Her mother before the alcohol got to her and made their lives miserable. There was a time Marisa's mom was helpful to the point of annoying, always so knowledgeable and aware of everything. She even looked like Tess in ways. It, pissed Marisa off.
Instead of saying all that, Marisa chose the abrasive option. "I realized the moment I met you I hate witches."
Tess scowl, shaking her head. "You are--"
"One of a kind," Spencer said, coming down the stairs. "You either have to learn to role with it...or walk away. Those are the only two options when dealing with Marisa."
Marisa smirked. "This is true." She was proud of that fact as if passing people off was a career choice.
"Shouldn't you be meditating," Tess said wanting to get rid of Marisa.
"I can't," Marisa said calmly.
Tess frowned. "Why not?"
"Because..." Marisa looked to Tess as if she had a real issue... "you blow my concentration with all that witchery magic floating around us."
Instead of verbally responding, Tess flicked Marisa off, only gaining a smile.
Spencer waved Marisa on. "Come on. We can go a few miles to get your mind focused."
Marisa complied. Her and Spencer were being casual with each other. There was no talk of feelings or small touches of intimacy. Occasionally, they glanced at each other.
It was hard being alone with Spencer but Marisa would try. And try she would.
The first hour was hard. Meditating was a work of art. There was also many ways to meditate. Probably because Marisa was overtaking it all seemed hard.
Spencer sat several feet away, quiet and immobile.
Marisa blew out. "This isn't working."
"I don't know much about meditating," Spencer started in. "How has it worked for you in the past?"
Considering, Marisa thought. "I let go. I...went away from myself. Focused on one necessity."
"And...what are you doing now?"
"That's the issue. I don't know the purpose of meditating. I have no clue of what to expect."
All Spencer wanted to do was be that person Marisa could lean on. Their relationship was far from perfect. That was the issue though. Their was no real relationship. But still, Spencer stayed hopeful and patient. She would help but not bring up their difficult relationship.
Observant, Marisa watched Spencer fall into a trance. She couldn't bring herself to ask what was in her mind. "Maybe my brain isn't ready to face anymore stressful situations."
Spencer nodded. "What do you want to do then?" Marisa eyes widen. "We don't have to get into this now. There's a lot you've been dealing with. Perhaps doing something fun will help."
"Fun," Marisa repeated confused as if that word did not apply to her.
Spencer smiled. "Yes. What are you into?"
Marisa thought hard not sure if what to say. She liked the outdoors. Her and Val went hiking a lot. Being out here, she got more hiking in then she wanted. There was dining out and going to the movies or bar.
Marisa grinned, finding her answer. "Let's go to a bar."
Spencer frowned. "We don't have exactly..."
Shrugging, Marisa stood from the soft soil. "Never mind that. So we travel a few miles further. Let's get out of here."
Nervous about this idea, Spencer looked off to the direction of pack home. She had to suggest doing something fun.
"I won't let anyone touch you." Marisa's voice was rough and low.
Gazing toward Marisa, ease and safety flooded her. She smiled. "Okay. Let's do it."
Marisa grinned. "Awesome."

~

Val

Waiting for Pierce, Val played with her cubs. The sight of her cubs always brightened Val's mood.
She stood over them, locked into her thoughts. Val hesitated to pick up her son. Her hands were unstable and shaky. Her wolf was too riled and unfocused. It was hard admitting that she had a problem.
Drake kissed Val's cheek. "We'll figure it out."
About to add in her thoughts, Allira sniffed out the air. Val snarled about to lose it when Allira held a hand out. "Use your nose," Allira said.
Taking a breath, Val followed her mates guidance. She recognized the scent. She could smell her brother, Ryan and the other scent approaching was familiar.
Heading down the stairs, the front door opened just as she took her last step.
Tess was sitting on the couch talking to cubs with probably curious questions. She stood, hoping that would mean it was their time to leave.
Val held her hand up. Ryan walked in, followed by a teenage boy behind him. Val recognized him, immediately. On instinct, her expression drew out blank.
Drake came down the stairs swarming her Omega magic through the house. She did not want Val losing it.
Taking a deep breath, Val could feel Drake's Omega abilities soak into her flesh.
Ryan smiled tightly, using pack magic to communicate. Try and heard him out. "This is for you."
Opening up the paper bag, Val looked inside. The nightshade was packaged like tea bags.
"I'll take that." Drake took it out of Val's hand. She looked into it. "I'll make you some before you head out."
It was evident Pierce was not coming.
"Mom will be back when we get back," Ryan said, knowing what was bothering Val at the moment.
Brennan; Christof son walked up, chin held up. It was pointless in pretending in her mind that she was not connected to Christof.
"Before you say anything. I would like to say something." Brennan took a sobering breath. "I'm not here to make up for...my father's mistakes." He knew including Val in being Christof daughter would have set her off. "My reasons for coming are partly all my own. I want to build a future for myself, outside of my father's gloomy shadows. I want to be of high ranking by the time I reach eighteen."
Val crossed her arms over her chest. "And your other reason in why you should come?"
Have tightening, Brennan pushed passed his fear of rejection. "Ryan...isn't your only brother. He isn't the only one you can rely on. Trust. And...I think you will miss out on getting to know me and my..." he looked Val in the eyes... "our younger siblings."
About to turn him away, Val remembered Marisa speaking of how her dead great grandfather wanted her to get to know here other siblings. Was it too coincidental that Brennan would be here now? Val had no reason to doubt his words. He wasn't his father. And his last statement was definitely something she would have said.
"You know how to handle yourself?"
Light brightened in Brennan's eyes hopeful. "Yes."
Val swallowed her fear. She wouldn't admit to being afraid of getting close to yet another person. It was scary. But she was also more curious about him and the others she'd been avoiding. He gave her this opening. Why not take it and meet him halfway?.
Drake brought her a cup of tea. "Here."
Taking it, Val breathed it in before taking a sip. Her entire body swarmed with chills. Her wolf gradually paced less with each sip.
"Is it helping with anything?" Allira asked.
Taking a moment, Val finished the tea, the he at not bothering her. She slowly nodded. "I feel different. More in control."
Drake smiled. "Good."
"Does this mean we can go?" Tess asked, trying not to sound impatient. It didn't work. Her smile didn't stop Val from giving her a heated glare.
Turning back to Brennan, Val made a decision. "Where we're going...danger might be present. Actually...I'm almost certain it will."
Brennan nodded. "I wasn't expecting anything less."
Val nodded. "Fine. You can come."
Trying not to leap from excitement, Brennan kept his composure, nodding. "Thank you."
Shaking her head, Val sighed. "Don't thank me yet."