Chapter Thirty-One

Spencer

   Seeing Marisa hunched over, arm cradling her stomach. Spencer rushed out of the house running toward them. They were still a ways. Seeing her like that, Spencer wanted to cocoon Marisa away from the world. She made it to Marisa's side, Val stepping back to allow Spencer room.

Stopping Marisa, Spencer scanned her thoroughly. "Let me see."

Lifting her shirt, Marisa winced at the movement. The bleeding had stopped for the most part but there was no mistaking or hiding what was so evident.

"What the hell happened?" Spencer said in a panicked reaction. They continued to the pack. "Why haven't you shifted?" Marisa's lack of response es beginning to worry Spencer. She looked to Val for answers.

Val said nothing turning her head away.

"Where is Tess?" Spencer looked behind Marisa. Kathleen and Pierce were gone too.

"They took Tess back to her coven," Val said vaguely.

All her questions weren't helping. Spencer scratched her head taking a breath. "Let's get to the house. I will be bandaging you up." She wasn't giving Marisa a choice.

"Okay," Marisa said nothing else.

There was a gritted and weak tone that Spencer had not heard in a while. Shame and a desire to close herself off. Trying not to think the worse, Spencer leaned on hope to get them through this.

   They leave separate from Val, heading onto the patio. Marisa was feeling closed in and wanted fresh air. "Let me clean these..." Spencer could not finish her words. Before she said anything, she weighed in the options of what could have happened.

   Seeing the guilt in Marisa eyes, she could only see why Marisa did not shift. She wanted to suffer; punishing herself from something.

   Drew brought out her medical bag. "I'll leave you two. You need anything..."

   Spencer nodded without looking up. She lifted Marisa's shirt up the moment she sat in the chair. "Thanks. We have what we need for now." She didn't acknowledge him or anyone else curious to what happened.

"Lean back." Spencer kept a calm tone, focused on taking care of Marisa's injuries. Marisa complied. Spencer pulled out saline flushes from her bag and squirted some on a few gauze. She wiped around the wounds finding several stab entrances. Spencer sucked a breath.

"He was only a kid." Marisa finally said something.

"What?" Spencer glanced up stopping for a few seconds and then continued.

"The necromancer was only a kid. An angry kid." Marisa stifled a moan when Spencer pressed down on her injuries. Struggling to form words, Marisa just let go of that final restraint. "I killed his uncle."

Spencer stopped again. She put everything to the side. Instead of speaking she only listened.

Marisa began to tell Spencer the story and when she was done, tears fell from her eyes. She hated crying while angry and sad at the same time.

"So...you let him..." Spencer grazed the tips of her fingers over Marisa's abdomen. She was careful not to cause her pain... "do this?"

Marisa nodded. "I deserve more."

"Yes you do," Spencer said sadly. "But nothing that requires risking your life."

"I'm a werewolf. I can easily heal this."

Spencer stood, taking a seat in the chair beside Marisa refraining from shouting. If she lost Marisa it would be a loss Spencer would fall apart from. Wanting to say more Spencer decided not to say more standing back up. "I'm going to go check on everyone."