Chapter Fifteen

Val

Walking into Maerla's home, Val wanted to turn back out. This was ridiculous. She felt like this was all pointless. This woman caused so much problems in her life.
"It would help if you were to be optimistic about being here." Tess smiled through her version of encouragement.
Val's brow arch. Leaning over to Tess, I muttered, "You might make it your life's mission to piss Marisa off on a regular, which I'd advise you to stop. With me...don't try to go that route." Val's eyes stayed on the Fae around her; very aware of her surrounding.
In a polite tilting of the head, Tess shut her mouth.
Maerla walked through her home leading us to the living room. Candles were lit in varies spots, Crystal glass table next to her small throne like chair. She had a pot of tea with a cup aside it. "Would you like some?" Maerla waved to the tea.
Tess accepted.
"You only have one cup," Val said in her reasoning for objecting.
"Perhaps you should check your eyes, niece." Maerla waved her hand out.
Taking a second glance, there was another cup resting next to the table. Val frowned, narrowing her eyes from the tea set up to Maerla. Fae magic is a trickery magic they enjoyed using.
"I'll take some," Ryan agreed.
"No." Val objected, not trusting whatever Maerla offered.
Maerla stood, not taking offense but understanding. "I have made many mistakes that urges you never to trust me. I want your trust. Desire a chance to make up for my poor way of expressing myself in the past."
Val smirked. "Your poor way of expressing yourself. Awesome choice of words." Val crossed her arms. "Let's get this over with."
Silence lingered until Tess spoke first. "We are trying to recover the location of a grave."
Taking a seat, Maerla studied Tess before turning to Val with concern.
Half tempted to call her out on her false concern, Val opted out not sure if it was truly false.
Ryan and Brennan continued to stand as Val sat opposite of Maerla beside Tess ready to finish this conversation.
"You need my help." Maerla wasn't asking a question; only searching for confirmation. Her eyes were on Val, awaiting her answer. This could be Maerla's chance to make up for the pain she caused.
"This is for my friend, Marisa." Val hated coming to Maerla for any help. But her pride and anger came last.
Tess breathed out slowly. "We are searching for her father's grave."
The way Tess's words came out, brought curiosity to Val that made her study Tess a few minutes. There was grief in Tess voice that was recognizable. A certain kind of grief, Val still faces in her own life. Val would wait till later to ask her questions.
"Why?"
Maerla was being too inquisitive. Since they needed her, according to Tess, Val would keep her mouth shut. Not trusting Maerla with the whole truth, Val would give her at least half of it. "Because...we need to make sure he's actually dead," Val said. It was honestly the truth. Part of Val never believed Marisa's father was dead. There was no proof. And if he was then they could go back to the original plan of Marisa speaking to his spirit.
"What is the bigger why?" Maerla eyes constricted on Val not letting her get away with saying nothing informative.
A deep sigh from Tess drew out a frustrating glare from Val, warning her to stay silent. Tess ignored Val, keeping her focus on Maerla. Maerla would find out if she hadn't already known. Maerla liked to ask questions even when she already had the answers.
"We have a necromancer after Marisa. He or she has already raised the dead." Tess watched Maerla's reaction ignoring Val's snarl.
Maerla nodded. She took a sip of her tea, thinking for some time. It was her natural instinct to toy with the information they wanted but things were different. For starters, she liked Tess. Secondly, Val and Brennan were family. She'd already toyed with their lives enough. "I do not know if he is dead or not. But my abilities as an Elder Fae...I can sense where many are at by the scent they leave on this earth." Maerla placed her cup down beside the tea pot.
"Once your scent brushes against a tree or lies beneath the earth...I can feel it. Feel them. All vegetation is connected to me. But...I need his scent."
Tess nodded.
"I'm not bringing my friend to you," Val stated clear.
"We won't need to." Tess dug through her bag pulling out a claw. Val glanced confused toward Tess. "Back in L.A, where Marisa got herself in trouble. She left this behind...embedded in one of the men's skull."
"And you thought to keep it for times like this?" Val's snarky comment earned a response.
Tess shrugged. "I'm a witch. A werewolf's claw can be either used to find that werewolf, which I did use it for. Or make an excellent ingredient for a lethal potion."
"Good to know."
Ryan whispered, "remind me to pick up my claws if I get into a fight and lose one." His smile was short lived by his sister's vexed manner. Ryan straightened back up.
Maerla took it from Tess hand. She stood. There was much a Fae could do with this. She felt overcome with magic. The small restraint Maerla noticed from Val in the corner of her eyes made her pause. Whatever intent she normally had needed to change.
Closing her eyes, Maerla focused. She grabbed a small plastic container. "La suf. Mo'col." She repeated her Fae tongue until the thick sharp claw cremated. She held it at the palm of her hand, pouring it into the container.
Maerla held the container of half filled, claw dust up to Val. She grabbed it, holding it closely.
"You give that to your best friend. All she needs to do is pour it into the soil. It will guide your friend to her father."
"That's it." Brennan stepped forward, confused. "There most be a trick. We walk out that door and you attack us."
"Brennan." Val spoke calmly.
"No, Valerie. We both know this monster who killed our grandfather isn't going to just let--"
Trying to keep her wolf back would be no point. Val snarled, erupting the room with an echo. "You are far to young to open your mouth. Be thankful I let you come."
"I would have come--"
Val stood so fast Brennan had no time to react. She grabbed his jaw, firm and dominant. "You are in my world. I may not even a year into this new life...but I've never been one to have patience. It's only gotten worse." Grimacing, Val swallowed in more words that nearly slipped out. She wanted to teach him, not make him hate her. Having him as a brother was something she still wasn't use to. "Brennan. Just be silent."
He lowered his head.
Pushing past her doubts of Maerla's intentions, Val turned back. "If you secretly did anything...anything that brings harm--"
"There was no ill intention." Maerla stood before Val with nothing but the hopes she'd believe her. If not now, Maerla hoped soon. "I'll see you again. Tell my sister where I'm at if she wants to see me. And Mckayla."
Val grunted. "I'm sure the last person Mckayla or Kathleen wants is to see you." Val walked out, Ryan and Brennan behind.
~
"That will definitely help Marisa." Tess pointed to the container Val held out. "From there...we'll get answers."
Val pursed her lips. "Does your coven cover all of California or are you personally invested in what happens?"
Tess did not respond right away. She kicked her dry lips scratching the side of her head. "We cover all of California. It is my responsibility...when magic. Witchcraft is involved to investigate and terminate threat."
"Something tells me. This is also a personal issue for you too."
"Well, you're wrong." Tess knew she sounded defensive.
"Well, I'm calling Bullshit."
"That's your opinion." Tess wasn't going to give into opening up that easily.
Val would drop it for now. She had more pressing matters at hand.
"Brennan." He slowed his pace and Tess quickened here's, moving up to Ryan.
"I know. I screwed up."
He was already talking.
"Is that a natural thing for you? To speak and not hear everything out first. To speak at the wrong time?" Val was genuinely curious to know.
Brennan shrugged. "Actually, yes." He smiled. "My father complains about it a lot. Says...I'm impatient like him." His face sunk. "Sorry. I know you hate when I bring him up."
It bothered Val to have others talk about Christof. Thinking how Brennan said he was impatient like his father, made Val think of what traits or looks she got from Christof.
She never thought of comparing her features from his side of the family. It would only piss her off more.
"Let's just focus on getting back." Val ended the conversation.
As soon as Val got back to her pack, things were only going to get harder from here. That's just how some things worked. Not something Val ever wanted. Things between Pierce and Kathleen were still a bit rocky. Truthfully, half her anger toward Pierce and Kathleen had nothing to do with them. It was about Val. Things she'd yet faced.
At the end of the day, Val wanted to make sure Marisa was all right. She wanted to get to her mates and cubs. Val would not prolong their way back because she wasn't in the mood to face new threat.
What happened to her worse day being a delivery late for her next morning sale? Or too much traffic on her way home from a long day at work. Or a crazy ex waiting for Val at her apartment. Those were easy and irrelevant memories compared to now.
But gosh, those were the days.
Getting out of her head, Val looked up to see her packs home in view. Despite what she felt, this was her new home. She loved her mates and cubs. She loved her pack. Her family. This was her home. Her real home. Val needed to let go.
She saw her mates step outside the house and all sadness of her old life went away. At least Val kept the one real constant from her old life. Marisa.
And Val would do anything for Marisa. That was a fact.