Chapter 36: Robbie Returns

Start from the beginning

Kiara turned to Whiplash. "We need to talk." Her stern tone snapped Whiplash's attention to her and away from whatever she was staring at

Or whoever she was staring at.

"Um, hi. What are we talking about?"

"You."

"Vague but okay. Do you like how shiny my scales are?" she asked with a hopeful smile.

"I'm serious Whiplash, you've been acting different lately. Is everything okay?"

The dragon gulped, looking especially guilty. "Yes, I've been quite... distracted. With the new island and everything. Sorry if I worried you."

"It's okay. I just wanted to ask about Robbie."

Whiplash's head shot up in surprise. "What about him?"

"There's still the matter of letting him know we're here, silly. It's our second day here. He must be confused and worried." Whiplash scoffed. Then covered it up with a loud hiccup that sounded like she was choking. Kiara wrinkled her nose. "Now that's just weird."

Whiplash grinned sheepishly. "I was thinking we should discuss this after your class."

"Our class."

"Not mine yet."

"Are you avoiding me?"

"No. I just need to consult with the guardian angel." Whiplash hissed and narrowed her eyes at a point behind Kiara.

Kiara heard scuffling and turned around just in time to see a haphazardly arranged group of barrels get knocked over, the culprit nowhere in sight. Was it the night terrors? She turned back to Whiplash with a frown. "What do you mean guardian angel?"

"I'll explain later. We'll talk, I promise. Shouldn't you get to the dome right now?"

Kiara glanced at her watch. "Ah, crud. You're right. See ya later." She jogged off.

Robbie uncamouflaged moments later, heaving a sigh of relief. That was too close! he said.

Whiplash rounded on him. Close? You made me lie to her!

Chill, girly... Don'tchya like me being her 'invisible pillow'?

No. You're going to reveal yourself, Now!

Now? How's about.. before sundown? Pretty please! I need to find a dramatic way of doing it.

Whiplash rolled her eyes. Fine. No later. Or I'll tell her myself.

Deal. Robbie held out his paw, grinning. Come on, Whipster. Let's shake on it.

Whiplash whacked his paw away. Don't call me that, she grumbled, still majorly pissed at the changewing.

-

Astrid's class was no different to yesterday, a meal forced into Kiara's mouth. The intensive workout was the type of starter that will crush an appetite to crumbs, smart targeting training was the main course, and there was a side-dish of jabs about Kiara's (lack of) strength. There was no dessert. And the side-dish was the foulest.

The not-so-hidden insults were probably Astrid's version of "motivation". Kiara did not approve of the method. But, after the session ended and Astrid left, she realised that it was actually working. She was motivated. Not because she didn't find herself weak and lacking, but because she was the type of person who rebelled against labels and worked heart and limb to rise above them. She realised this when, after Astrid asked her to do 100 punches in her own time, she found herself doing three times as many.