Chapter 3: The "Talk" (2)

Venice

"Where are you taking me?" I questioned Charles as he drove out of the University. I had thought that we would talk outside the campus but he eventually told me to get inside his car because he wanted to talk about us someplace else.

"Just trust me on this" I heard him say, stopping at a red light.

"Trust you?" I looked at him in confusion "Why would I trust you out of all the things that you've did to me"

He coughed in dismay and dismissively ignored what I said "To tell you the truth, I did read the letter, I remembered you because of it" he muttered under his breath and continued to drive.

I looked at him with utter confusion "If you did remember me, why didn't you come back?" I felt a burning sensation on my throat, it felt as though my voice cracked at the end of what I said.

---

"You are taking me to the world's tallest Ferris wheel because this is where you wanted to talk?" I questioned in disbelief as we both got out of the car. He ignored what I said and he eventually led me in.

"I like to spend my time here in silence and this is probably where we should talk in peace" He explained as he handed in the tickets to the man guarding over and we both got in to the Ferris wheel, with him sitting right at the opposite of mine.

"So," I started to fumble out "Speak"

Before he spoke out, he ran his hands through his hair and heaved in a sigh of frustration "I wanted to say that, "he started out and looked at me right into the eye with his piercing brown eyes "Venice Halsey, I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry that I broke your heart. I'm sorry that I reappeared back into your life again. I'm sorry that my presence here in London is a bothersome to you. I'm sorry that I ruined you. I'm sorry that I didn't give you the love that you deserve. I'm sorry that I came at the party last Friday night. I'm sorry that I bumped into you. I'm sorry that the thought of me coming back again broke you into pieces. I'm sorry that you didn't come out strong because you saw the sight of me again. I'm sorry that you made yourself thought that you had moved on. I'm sorry that you had loved me. I'm sorry that you got to hold your tears up when we had met unexpectedly. I'm sorry that you hadn't moved on. I'm sorry that I broke you over and over again," He breathed out "And I'm sorry that I didn't come back for you"

A tear escaped from my eyes "After 3 years, I have finally gotten an apology from you" I started to say "It took you 3 years to tell me that Charles"

He looked down in dismay as I heave in a sigh "I thought that I hadn't moved on yet. I was scared to think that I might fall for you again but right after your apology, you made me realize that there are more people that are worth it to be loved" I said as realization dawned upon me. The thought of his presence at the party made my heart ache again but when he apologized, it's like everything was fixed. I think this is what God wanted us to do. A simple closure.

Don't hold onto something that you know wouldn't happen Ven.

Payton's words dawned upon me. I cried back again for a guy that wasn't worth my time. I cried and curled myself up in bed because I thought that I hadn't moved on. I had thought that I still have those feelings but I was wrong. I realized that the 3 years that I had spent moving on shouldn't be a waste but yes, there's still that ache that you feel when you see him. I feel thankful that he showed up again in my life because it made me want to realize that I've moved on from the thought of him not showing up but in reality, I had moved on from the ache of seeing him, I had moved on from the accepting the sad reality and most especially, I had moved on to understand that a simple apology would be the root of acceptance.