Chapter 26

There was a knock at the flat door. Elsa had stayed the entire night in 221B, 'helping' Sherlock put the room back together. And by helping, that really meant doing all the work while he was in his room, doing who knows what.

"Don't worry, Sherlock, I've got the door!" she yelled. Elsa opened the door to see Mycroft Holmes standing in front of her. "Oh, hello, Mycroft is it? Umm... do come inside, I suppose. It's a bit messy, due to the explosion across the way, but I think you already know all about that. Would you like anything to drink? Maybe some tea? I'm sure if I have any prepared, I've been cleaning all by myself the whole night... and the flat still isn't up to par. I suppose that's what I get, I've never really had to clean anything before, ya know? My family has a bunch of maids that do all that stuff for us, so I never really learned how dust properly. But I guess I'm rather ok at sweeping or vacuuming... it seems simple enough. What was I saying? Oh, yes, would you fancy anything to drink? I'll try to fix it up as fast as I-"

"I'm fine, thank you. I'm just here to see my brother."

"Oh, yes, of course... I'll go get him." Elsa nodded, thankful that Mycroft had interrupted her when he did. She could have gone on and on with her rambling, not stopping until she passed out.

She walked into Sherlock's room. He was just sitting on his bed, legs crossed, with his hands folded to his mouth, eyes closed. Elsa cleared her throat. His eyes jolted open.

"What do you want?" He groaned.

"Um, well, your brother's here. He kind of wants to talk to you... I'm not quite sure about what, though..."

"Tell him I'm fine, he can leave now,"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"My 'dear brother' may go. I have no need to talk to him."

Elsa turned her head. Mycroft had stationed himself on John's chair, staring at Elsa as she talked to Sherlock. "I don't think he's going to be leaving any time soon..."

"Ugh, fine..." Sherlock stood up and shut the door in Elsa's face. She crossed her arms and started tapping her foot impatiently. He stepped out of his room wearing a new set of clothes. Elsa whipped around and walked back into the living room with Sherlock at her heels. "What do you want, Mycroft?" He droned at his brother.

"It's some business with my job," Mycroft glanced at Elsa. She took the hint.

"Umm... I'm just gonna... get changed... uh, holler if you need me, Sherlock..."

She quickly walked down the stairs and into 221A. After a speedy shower, she changed into jeans, a cami and sneakers. She walked back up the stairs, but stopped just outside the closed door.

"I don't understand why you keep her around." Mycroft's stiff voice seeped through.

Elsa could hear a light plucking sound, Sherlock must be fiddling with his violin...

"She's... interesting..." Sherlock responded. "One moment, she can be like any other dull person. The next, she surprises you. I can't quite figure her out..." he paused, "When I was confronting General Shan, I told her to wait in the shadows. Of course, she didn't listen. But why she didn't listen fascinates me. Elsa wasn't looking for a fight, she saw that Sarah needed help, so she risked her safety to save someone she only just met. Someone that was on a date with John, the man she cut off a relationship with. Most people would not go out of their way to save a person in that situation."

"Basic people have such odd priorities,"

"But here's the thing, Mycroft. Elsa is in no way 'basic'... her mind is so full of knowledge and curiosity! It's dangerous for her to be out there by herself."

"Curiosity killed that cat..."

"But satisfaction brought it back," she stated as she quickly opened the door, stepping inside. "Must you talk about me when I'm not here? I might just have the same questions, you know."

Sherlock plucked at his violin while Mycroft awkwardly shuffled his feet. She crossed her arms and cocked one hip to the side.

"How much did you hear?" Sherlock asked, almost blushing.

"Oh, I believe I've heard enough. How I don't listen to your orders and how my brain is stuffed full of knowledge. I am not a pet to be trained, you know. I'm a human, with my own wants and needs, not that you would really understand the whole emotions spiel, but you know enough of the basics.

But enough about me, I suppose. Mycroft Holmes, how nice it is to have you visit... now, what the hell are you doing here?"