Chapter 11

"Where are you taking me, John?" She giggled as he pulled her hand and walked toward the center of the park.

"There's this little coffee shop just across the street. I was thinking we could we could get something to eat there."

Elsa spotted the shop and quickened her pace. She was cold! A nice, warm coffee was just what she needed.

"I'll have a mocha," she said to the bartender.

"I'll take a dark roast," John ordered.

The bartender nodded and went to go fix their drinks. John saw a small table with two chairs. He pulled out one and motioned Elsa to sit down. She giggled at his cute gesture.

"It's quite nice in here," she said, complimenting John's choice. "It's really nice for our first date..."

"I'm glad you think so. I was hoping you'd like it here."

"So, I hardly know anything about you, John Watson. Do tell."

"Well, I recently moved here from my station in Afghanistan. I worked there as an army doctor. When I came to London, my sister offered to house me, but I want my distance from her. You see, she's an alcoholic. I just can't handle being with people that have that sort of addiction. She gave me her phone to keep in touch, though. And then I met Sherlock, and I suppose I'm living with him now!"

Elsa giggled more, "I'm sorry I keep laughing so much. I'm not laughing at you, I just feel so happy now for some reason. And thank you for telling me about yourself."

"No problem. And you're laughing isn't an issue. I find it quite adorable, even a little sexy."

She immediately stopped laughing and tensed her body. "Please don't say that,"

"Why not?"

"I just- please don't say that." The conversation had taking a horribly awkward turn. "I'm just not comfortable being described like that, please."

"Talk to me,"

The bartender arrived with their drinks, and gave them a curt nod.

"Not even Sherlock knows,"

John rolled his eyes, "well, you're on a date with me not Sherlock, and I want you to be able to trust me. Tell your reasons, maybe I can help."

"Ok... ok... well, you know how I had that exboyfriend in Scotland... I thought it was cute at first, him calling me sexy all the time. But soon, it came in a pattern. He always wanted... IT from me. And I just couldn't... but he kept pressing on, trying to force me to be with him, I don't know how I kept up with him. Every time, before he made advances, he would always say something like 'come here and don't hold back. Sexy.' And it became a signal for me. I was only sexy when he wanted to do it, and I wasn't ever ready. It became my turn-off. An abusive relationship, I suppose. So, umm, please... don't call me that..."

John looked at her, eyes wide with concern. "I'm sorry, I didn't know"

"You don't have anything to be sorry about, trust me. Just don't tell anybody else, especially Sherlock. He doesn't need to think I'm weaker than I am, not being able to even take a simple compliment."

John disregarded her mention of Sherlock, "You aren't weak, Elsa. You're probably one of the strongest people I've ever met. I wouldn't exactly know, but to escape a relationship like that takes guts."

She blushed as she took a long sip of her mocha. "I think you're giving me way too much credit. I loved him, loved him so much that I put through the pain. I only left after I realized he didn't care for me as much as I had thought..."

"I don't care what happened, you're here now, and I'm never going to treat you like that."

She grinned, "Thank you. And please, don't tell anyone. Especially Sherlock, as I said before..."

This time John could not roll off her mention.

"Why do you keep talking about Sherlock!?" He yelled, "You're supposed to be on a date with me!"

Elsa drew back in shock, not expecting his outburst. The few people that were in the shop with them stared at them for a beat.

John took a breath to relax after he saw Elsa's facial expression of terror. He guessed that his yelling must have reminded her about her ex.

"Elsa... I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to... just you kept talking... I thought..." he looked into her eyes, which were still wide with surprise. He cleared his throat. "Elsa, this is our date, and I'd prefer we discuss other topics."

She shook her head, closing her eyes. "No, no. You're right to be upset. I'm on a date with you, and I'm talking about your friend. But I can't stop. I'm sorry, but I can't. He's just so different, you know? He's totally ignored me. Nobody has ever done that before in my life. I... I... I can't stop thinking about him..."

John reached out and grabbed her hand. "I was so hoping that we would get along better, but now I can see that we should only stay friends. If we can't have a conversation without Sherlock being mentioned, a relationship would defiantly not work."

"I'm so sorry..."

"There are other fish in the sea," she laughed. "We just need to find the right ones for us."

"So, agreed? Are we ok?"

"We're good, Elsa Wiggens. There is no need to push for a relationship that can't happen."