Chapter 19

The performance had started. Someone was tapping on a small drum. The lady called The Opera Singer walked to the center of of the circle wearing a traditional Chinese outfit and heavy makeup. The drummer stopped drumming while the Opera Singer walked the radius and pulled off a cloth from a large object, revealing an antique crossbow on a stand. She picked up a wooden arrow and fit it in the crossbow after showing off its design. She picked a feather from the headdress she was wearing and placed it in a small metal cup that was located at the end of the bow. Instantly, the arrow was fired and embedded in a board across the diameter. Sherlock was the only one that was able to watch the arrow as it flew across the room. John, Sarah and Elsa were too slow. Sarah turned to John and dramatically put her hand to her chest and laughed.

Elsa looked to Sherlock, his face bored, but his eyes shinning with anticipation, calculating the next trick.

A new figure entered the circle wearing an ornate mask and chain mail. He was attached to heavy chains and pushed up against the board, unable to move much.

"Classic Chinese escapology act," Sherlock whispered to Elsa.

"What?"

"Crossbow is on a delicate string. That warrior has to escape his bonds before the arrow is fired."

They all watch as the Opera Singer loads another arrow to the bow. More locks are added to the warrior. The Opera Singer takes out a knife.

"She splits the sandbag; the sand pours out; gradually the weight lowers into the bowl,"

The Opera Singer reached up and stabs the knife into a small sandbag, just as Sherlock said she would. Sand starts flowing out, the warrior is struggling against his constraints while the weight is getting closer the bowl. He has one hand free as the bag and weight cross paths. He gets his other hand free.

Elsa is watching extremely closely, not noticing that Sherlock had wondered away.

The weight was now almost to the bowl, and the warrior was still covered in chains. Elsa looked away, he wasn't going to make it. She heard the snap of the arrow and then a huge cheer. He had escaped!

"Oh my god, Sherlock!? Did you just see-" she went to hit his arm, but only felt air. She rolled her eyes, of course he'd have left. "John?"

"Mhm?"

"I'm gonna leave now, I suppose that's what he must have done," she motioned to the empty space next to her.

John nodded, understanding.

Elsa turned and left.

~

She quickly walked into her flat and closed the door. The whole time she was heading home, Elsa felt as if she were being watched. A shiver rolled up her spine as she entered her room, taking off her dress and putting on sweats, setting her hair into a ponytail. The feeling of being watched had disappeared, but Elsa had something tugging at the back of her head; who would follow her, and why?

Mrs. Hudson was in her own room, Elsa didn't feel like talking, not after another 'date' didn't work out. She sat down in the parlor area and turned on the telly. There was nothing particularly interesting on, but Elsa settled for a funny skit-show hosted by one of her favorite actresses. The particular episode that was on happened to be one of her favorites, the celebrity guest was rather handsome.

Elsa barely was able to watch 15 minutes of the show before she started drifting off. Shaking her head, she focused on the telly again, only drift once more. This continued a few times until somebody hastily entered her flat and slammed the door.