Chapter 3

John's eyes boggled while he leaned on his cane.
"What is it," she asked "is there a problem?"
John quickly recovered. "Oh, it's nothing. Just that I happen to know somebody that lives on Baker Street as well."
"Really? That wouldn't happen to be Mrs. Hudson, would it?"
"For someone that just moved here, you sure already know one of the most important people on that street."
"What are you talking about? I've known Mrs. Hudson since I was a little girl, my parents had hired her to be my caretaker while they were out touring. Which, unfortunately, happened a lot, I never really knew my parents until I was about 13, when Mrs. Hudson mysteriously disappeared to America. By then, I'd been alone for such a long time that my parents deemed me able to take care of myself, even though they managed to mostly control my life until about a year ago."
"Ok, but how does this all tie into knowing Mrs. Hudson lives on Baker Street?"
"That's easy, my parents kept in touch with her. A few weeks ago, they told me that since I was an adult now, I should be able to take care of myself. They asked Mrs. Hudson to look after me, though, since they sent me here. Then she offered that I stay with her, for old times sakes."
"So you're living with Mrs. Hudson?"
"Precisely,"
"Do you know there are other people who by her flat?"
"She talked about them briefly. Never told me any names. I just assume they aren't that special."
"You ever seen them?"
"Nope. I don't stay at the flat for very much time. I want to explore, and whenever I am home, they are never around."
John limped Elsa to a taxi. They got inside.
"So you know nothing about them?"
"Precisely. Eventually, I plan to walk upstairs and introduce myself, but I just haven't made the time. Really, it's my first time out of Scotland, so I want to see everything that I possibly can. I don't know how long I'm gonna stay here, so I don't plan on wasting a second!"
"Well, maybe sometime, we could go out and sight-see?"
"Mr. Watson, are you asking me out on a date?"
"Umm... Well... I suppose... Yes." Elsa's cheeks flushed. "I mean, if it's alright with you! I didn't want to come on str-"
Elsa grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "I'd love to, John." He sighed with relief. "Oh my goodness, there's so much to see! So much to do! I wonder how much we could fit into one date!... We won't be able to finish!" She pouted.
"Maybe, if umm, the first date goes well-"
"We could go on another for more sight-seeing!?" John nodded "That would be lovely! And after I'm dropped off, you'll know where to pick me up! This is fabulous, I can't believe it!" She paused, pondering, "You aren't married are you? Cus after what just happened with my expired date, I don't want to be in that awkward position."
"I can promise you, Elsa, I'm not married. I'm still looking for the right someone." She blushed, and brushed her hair out of her face.
The taxi driver, an old looking man that wore glasses and a patterned hat, turned around. "If you two love-birds could just-"
"Terribly sorry, sir. Oh, you can stop here. My flat is right there. Thank you."
Elsa stepped out of the cab and crossed the street. She turned around to wave good-bye to John, but was surprised to find him limping almost right behind her. "Umm, John, you basically just said you didn't want to come on too strong, and my old Nanny lives with me, and we just met-"
John started laughing. "I'm not here to get it off with you, and I'm not following you either. Let me properly introduce myself."
"Don't be silly, I already know who you are."
He held his left hand out to shake hers "My name is John Watson. I'm your new neighbor."