Chapter 30

She heard a crash coming in from the laboratory, so Elsa picked up the pace of her walking, but struggled to open the door with both hands full of coffee. John's figure appeared and kindly let her inside.

"Sorry! Sorry!" A new voice came from around Sherlock's area. The person stood up and Elsa could see a kind face, he looked a little awkward and out-of-place in the laboratory.

"Umm... Sherlock, I have your coffee..."

"That was quick,"

"There was a machine down the hall," she said, handing him his cup. "I, uh... I heard a clatter. Are you all right?"

"Fine, fine. But I wouldn't be so sure about this platter that was knocked over..."

"Sorry..." the voice said.

Elsa suddenly realized that there were two unknown people in the room.

"Urmmm... hello..."

"Right, right. Molly, this is Elsa. Elsa, this is Molly."

"Nice to meet you," Molly said hesitantly, "Sherlock has told me loads about you..."

"Oh, has he?" a blush crept up Elsa's cheeks. She brushed a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

Her eyes looked up and met with Molly's. The girl might have said it was nice to meet Elsa, but her stare seemed empty, and even a bit cold. A look of jealousy or intrusion.

"And, umm, who's this?"

"That's my boyfriend, Jim."

Jim looked Elsa up and down, then smiled.

"Elsa Wiggens," she stated, holding out her hand.

He grabbed her had and shook it almost furiously.

"It's a real pleasure to meet you, Miss Wiggens."

"Elsa."

"Hmm?"

"I prefer being called Elsa."

"Right, right. Of course. Who wants to be called by their last name, anyways?"

Sherlock cleared his throat. "If you don't mind..."

"Well, I'd better be off. I'll see you at the Fox, bout six-ish?"

"Yeah!" Molly replied.

"'Bye,"

"'Bye,"

"It was nice to meet you," Jim said to Sherlock, gazing at him.

"You too," John broke in.

Jim looked at John awkwardly and left the room.

"What d'you mean, gay?" Molly furiously asked.

"Wait, he's gay?" Elsa softly questioned.

Molly turned to face Elsa but then back to Sherlock, "We're together."

"And domestic bliss must suit you, Molly. You've put on three pounds since I last saw you."

"Two and a half,"

"Nuh, three."

"Umm, Sherlock, you really shouldn't be saying things like that..." Elsa pointed out.

Molly was obviously angry and a little hurt, "He's not gay. Why d'you have to spoil...? He's not!"

Sherlock snorted, "With that level of personal grooming?"

"Because he puts a bit of product in his hair? I put product in my hair,"

"You wash your hair, John. There's a difference. No-no- tinted eyelashes; clear signs of taurine cream around the frown lines; those tired clubber's eyes. Then there's his underwear."

"His underwear?"

"Visible above the waistline- very visible; very particular brand. That, plus the extremely suggestive fact that he just left his number under this dish here..." Elsa snorted. What a player. "...and I'd say you'd better break it off now and save yourself the pain."

Molly glared at Sherlock, not knowing what to say, her eyes full of hurt. She walked outside the door.

"Charming. Well done." John voice oozed with sarcasm.

"Just saving her time. Isn't that kinder?"

Elsa gaped, "'Kinder'? That wasn't kind at all! Poor girl, I'm going to go talk to her."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you,"

"And why not, Sherlock? Why shouldn't I go comfort somebody? At least try to be human, sometimes." She walked out and slammed the door. "Molly! Molly, wait!"

Molly's figure was walking quite fast, but it stopped as soon as her name was called.

"What do you want, Elsa?"

She was taken aback by the slight hostility in her voice.

"I-I-I... I just wanted to see if you were alright..." Elsa shuffled her feet and looked at the floor, Sherlock was right. She shouldn't have gone after Molly.

"I'm fine," Elsa looked up to see a change in her facial appearance. Molly was still obviously upset, but her eyes were no longer cold, no longer gave off the impression of intrusion. "I just can't believe he would say that...!" She broke down crying.

Elsa pulled Molly into an awkward hug, patted her back as Molly cried into her shoulder.

"Well, you know Sherlock... he's not exactly aware of other people's feelings. Even those of his friends." Elsa pulled back but held on to Molly's shoulders, trying to still seem comforting. "You know what? It's still early, your date with Jim isn't for a while. Why don't we go out for some tea?"

Molly wiped the tears from under her eyes, "That sounds lovely, actually. Thank you."