New Friend

"Well, looks like we need to battle!" Serena reached for a pokeball to throw but felt nothing but empty ones. "Eh?!" She clutched her head frantically. "I forgot that Matsu and Sakura are at the Pokemon Center!" She quickly hid behind Calem as another Ember nearly hit her.

"Don't worry, I will protect you, Serena." Calem said bravely as he stood protectively in front of her and sent out Chespin.

~~~

Chespin dodged the on-coming Ember attacks. He tackled and used Vine Whip every so often. Serena watched the battle, making sure she and Calem don't get hit. Chespin found himself surrounded by the Litleo. All five of them pounced at him. Calem smirked, ready to show off his training in front of the girl beside him. "Chespin, spin and use Vine Whip!" He ordered. Chespin's vines extended and he spun, making him look like a tornado. The normal-and-fire types were sent flying in different directions.

"Ah!" Calem heard his companion gasp. He turned to see her catching one of the Litleo before it fell, but she slipped and tumbled down the hill.

"Serena!" The raven head yelled and carefully slid down the hill, followed by Chespin and the remaining Litleo.

Serena groaned while rubbing her head. She checked herself for any broken or sprained limbs, there were none besides the small bump on her head and small cut on her cheek. She looked at the Litleo in her arms. "Are you alright?" He nodded with a meek meow.

'Y-Yes, thank you.' The Pokemon licked her cheek, where the cut was located. Serena giggled and looked up as Calem plopped down next to her, panting.

"S-Serena! Are y-you alright?" He asked with a worried expression. Gray eyes searched her for injuries and landed on the cut. He gingerly touched it with his thumb, earning a flinch from her. "Sorry." She noticed his closeness and couldn't help but stare into his eyes, blue eyes meeting gray ones. The Litleo jumped out of her arms, surprising the trainers. They both blushed and quickly turned to look at the Litleo. He talked with his friends before all five stared at the trainers.

"Oh, right!" Serena smiled at the Pokemon and gave them some berries. "Calem is sorry that Fletchling attacked you all, it was an accident." She explained. They all smiled and meowed. Calem returned his Chespin and waited for Serena by the hill. The blonde joined her neighbor as they climbed up the hill. The five Litleo walked off but one of them glanced over his shoulder for a while before joining his friends.

Serena happily thanked Nurse Joy as she got back Matsu and Sakura. From inside the pokeball, they trembled in excitement for battle. She exited the Pokecenter but stopped in surprise as she spotted a certain someone. "Oh, it's you."

"Lit!" Litleo cried out while sitting down.

"You wanna join me on my journey?" Serena asked him. He smiled brightly and nodded.

'Yeah!'

"OK! Pokeball go!" She threw a pokeball in the air. Litleo leaped into the air, tapped the circle in the middle, and got sucked in. Serena caught the ball in her hand as it made a ding sound. "Welcome to the team, Kaen." She kissed the top of the pokeball with a smile. Tapping her shoes on the ground, wheels popped out from the bottom and she skated to the gym, she felt ready to battle. Calem told her that the gym specialized in bug-type Pokemon, he said that Sakura would be a good choice. I'll use Sakura and Kaen! She planned in her head.

When Serena entered the Santalune City Gym, she was in awe at the beautiful photos taken of different bug-type Pokemon. She enjoyed the Butterfree one. There were lots of them in Jhoto. What caught Serena's attention was something that looked like an elevator.

"What's the hustle, little Crustle?" She looked at the man that came over. "Welcome to Santalune City Gym!"

"Hello." She greeted him.

"So, future Champ, this'll be your first time challenging a Gym, huh?" He asked her. Serena nodded her head. "Are you thrilled? Are you pumped?"

"Yup!" Serena brightened. The man grinned at her enthusiasm.

"You should be! No worries here! You've got Pokemon on your side." He gestured to the pole. "Jump on that pole there, and you'll be on your way to where the Gym Leader's a-waitin' for you."

"OK!" The blonde grabbed the pole but didn't go down yet because the man had to say something else.

"Whoops! But wait! Before you go, I'm supposed to tell you something. Everyone in this gym uses bug-type Pokemon. Got it?" She nodded in understanding. Calem already told her that. "Good luck." He finished. Serena leaped on the pole and slid down until she let go, landing on something sticky and bouncy. Eww! A spider web! She squealed like a little girl but stopped when she caught the attention of the other trainers.

"Hey, challenger!" A young boy called and balanced his way a few feet in front of her. "If you wanna get to the Leader, you gotta beat me!" Serena smirked.

"OK. Come on out, Sakura!"

"Ledyba!" The two sent out the Pidgey and Ledyba.

"Use Gust." Serena commanded. Sakura flapped her wings and the Ledyba was blown back but steadied itself. The two flew around, using Tackle and Comet Punch, the moves would collide a few times. The Five Star Pokemon fell to the ground with swirled eyes. The young boy returned his Pokemon with a sigh.

"You're strong, I hope you get to Viola!" Serena returned Sakura after praising her, then continued through the sticky web.

-

Serena's Team:

Matsu Lvl 14 (Froakie) Pound, Water Pulse, Bubble, Quick Attack

Sakura Lvl 10 (Pidgey) Tackle, Sand Attack, Gust

Kaen Lvl 8 (Litleo) Tackle, Leer, Ember, Work Up