Battles

"Ok, Li'l Fennekin! Use tail whip!" Shauna commanded the fox. Fennekin jumped into the air above Matsu and started hitting him with her tail. The Froakie flinched back, failing to avoid her.

Serena checked her pokédex, scrolling her pokémon's entry to find his current moveset, before commanding an attack. "Matsu, use pound!" He raised a hand and smacked Fennekin across her face, earning a yelp. "Now fire some bubbles!" Unlike regular bubbles, the ones that shot out of Matsu's mouth were darker and surprisingly harmful as they knocked over his opponent.

"Oh no! Li'l Fennekin!" Shauna glanced worriedly at her pokémon. Fennekin stood back on trembling legs, assuring her trainer with a tail wag. "Ah, use ember!" Fennekin complied and flames shot of her mouth in shimmering sparks.

"Quick, Matsu! Counter with more bubbles!" The Froakie nodded and did as Serena commanded. The bubbles and flames collided and a small explosion happened, but it was enough to make the two trainers shield their eyes. Once the dust cleared, Matsu stood in triumph next to a fainted Fennekin.

Shauna sighed in defeat. "H- Hey! I wasn't done watching my cute Li'l Fennekin yet!" She began to pout, stomping her foot. Serena smiled in sympathy before they picked up their tired pokémon. "But you're amazing, Seri! I did enjoy the battle."

The blonde nodded. "Me too."

Shauna took out a potion and sprayed Fennekin, who woke up perfectly fine. "Here, let me heal your Froakie." Matsu cried out in glee at his revived strength. When Shauna had finished, she waved and ran in the direction Tierno and Trevor did. "See you up ahead, and say hi to your mom for me!"

"I will!" Serena exchanged a smile with Matsu, petting his head, before turning around to pass through Vaniville Pathway once again.

Grace raised her head when she heard the door open. She recognized her daughter walking inside, an excited smile on her face. "Welcome back! What did you and the neighbor kids end up doing?" Matsu stepped away from hiding behind Serena's legs.

"Froakie!" He greeted and Grace blinked in confusion. Fletchling chirped, flying down to greet Matsu.

"I'm assuming you all went to play with wild pokémon?"

The girl fidgeted in excitement. "Nooope! He's my very own pokémon!" She remembered the letter from before and held it out toward her mom. "This should explain everything better than I could!" Matsu glanced between them, eyes sparkling as he anticipated an answer from the older human.

"Eh, a letter for me?" Grace paused, staring at the paper for a moment, before her expression turned into a dreamy one. "What lovely handwriting... Perhaps... a love letter??"

Serena nearly fell over. "Certainly not! Ew..." Her mother's glare earned a laugh, as she was never that serious. Grace took in the professor's request but her face didn't show what she was thinking, and it unnerved Serena. "I know that it's sudden, since we just got here and all. If you don't want me to go, I understand." She wrung her hands together, awaiting the big answer.

"Well, how dare you think I would decline such an opportunity." Grace raised a brow, laying the letter atop the kitchen counter. "I remember that look on your face when Lyra received her partner and went off on her journey... It would be downright cruel of me to deny you such a thing!"

Serena's eyes grew to the size of a pair of moons before she scooped up Matsu and twirled around the room. "OHMYGODIMGOINGONAJOURNEY!!!"

"Calm down or you'll end up breaking something!" The blonde came to a screeching halt and bowed repeatedly while blabbering many words of gratitude. "What an unexpected turn of events." Grace smiled, making her way upstairs. "Wait here while I gather your things. There's this cute, tote bag I bought for you the other day that should fit everything you need; it was going to be a birthday gift, but I suppose now is a better time to put it to use."

"Thank you so much, mom!" Serena squealed, exchanging a grin with her Froakie. The pokémon was likely the most relieved of the two. He did assume Grace would send him back to Professor Sycamore if she had said no to the request. Even so, that didn't seem like something she'd do, and he felt bad for thinking it.

"It's just like a sudden last burst of speed from a racer in a Rhyhorn race!" Her mom practically squealed once she returned. Serena sweat-dropped. She had never really been interested in Rhyhorn races because being a Pokemon trainer seemed much more fun. "Oh right! Take this too!" Grace handed Serena a Map. "Don't lose it, OK?"

Serena nodded. "Ok."

"I don't know what this Professor Sycamore wants you to see on your trip, but taking a journey with your Pokemon is a really wonderful experience. I love you and have fun." Grace lovingly stroked her daughter's hair with a sweet smile.

Serena saluted along with the Froakie. "I will! Love ya too!" She ran outside, the door closing behind her.