34

They all woke up nice and early that day. Well, Charlotte woke up first, to call her boss and inform him of what was going on. Then, that woke Fred up, who decided to write Molly and Arthur a letter to explain what was happening before waking up Draco, who spent half the time bouncing around the flat and making some tea. 

It was ten o'clock when the three had made it out of the house, and were on their way to the Ministry of Magic.
"Just remember, Draco, as long as you mention the abuse, your parents will not be told," Fred reminded him.
"Yes, Fred- er, Dad, I mean," Draco corrected.
"You going to call me mum? Call him Fred," Charlotte ordered. Draco looked a little bewildered.
"She's like that for half an hour when she comes home from work. You get used to it," Fred whispered. Draco nodded. 

They went in through the Visitors' Entrance, and the two boys followed Charlotte as she made the way through the Ministry and found the Department of Registry. It was a tiny office because the wizarding population was small, so it took some time to find. 
"Rachel!" Charlotte exclaimed. 
"Oh, hi, Charlotte. What are you doing here?" Rachel, who seemed to work in the department. Charlotte quickly explained the situation, with Draco and Fred adding in every so often. 
"Yes, of course I can! Let me get some papers. They're just right... here," she said, pulling some papers out the draw. "Now, Draco, because your sixteen, you can sign these papers yourself. Just sign here and here..." It took an hour for all the signing to be done because Charlotte insisted everyone to read the terms and conditions. 

"So," Draco said. "I'm legally your child!" 
"You're legally our child!" Charlotte shouted. 
"How about we go to the Burrow to celebrate? Mum's made dinner," Fred suggested. 
"They're cool with it, right?" Charlotte asked, as Draco rushed to pack his trunk because there wouldn't be anytime later.
"Yeah. Well, I mean, I think mum's hoping we can help him do some good. It's just going to take him some time to..." 
"Yeah. I mean, he's Ron and Ginny's nephew. I wonder if-"
"They'll get used to it. I mean, they have too," Fred reminded her. "Draco? Ready to go?" he shouted. Draco appeared from the bedroom.  
"Yeah. We go now?" he asked. 

It turned out Molly had pulled out a surprise party. Everyone was there (minus, Harry, Ron and Hermione, who'd disappeared after Bill and Fleur's wedding), and there was a massive meal, just like always. Draco was very quiet at first, but as the night went on, he was chatting to everyone. 
"So," Arthur said to the couple, at the end of the night, watching Draco and Ginny swap embarrassing stories about their siblings. "When did you decide to adopt him?" Fred and Charlotte exchanged looks. 
"It's been in the works for sometimes, but then we found out Voldemort took over, and I got him out of there. I think work's going to go down to the Manor at some point, but they've taken my team away from the case because of..." Charlotte trailed off.  
"I understand," Arthur followed. "Well, it's nice, I think. Molly's still on the fence, but she'll come around. She always does."
"Thanks, Dad," Fred said, smiling at him.