Chapter Twenty: The War

"I'm going to start a war."

I meant it, too.

Restlessly I glanced over to the brunette who lay beside me, sound asleep under the fluffy comforter. The only thing I was able to see was his dark brown hair resting on the pillow. Carefully I lifted the blanket to show his sleeping figure. He seemed so...Worryless. Relaxed. I was envious of him. Then again, being naieve and worryless takes away all the fun, doesn't it?

I subconciously found myself running my hand along his jawline, stopping to rest on his cheek. I contemplated whether or not I should wake him. He would be angry at me for sure, but I didn't mind. He puts up more of a fight when he's angry or embarrassed. I turned my fingers slightly, watching as a crimson trail sprung up from pale white, and my lips curved into a small smile. He stirred slightly and I pulled my hand away, just hovering over his skin. Once he was awake, I would be unable to see that peaceful expression again. And that bothered me quite a bit.

I rolled over to face him, resting my forehead against his. Again, I felt the warmth of his skin. And for a reason that could not be explained, my craving for his life's blood seemed to dull and disappear, making it's way to the back of my mind. I closed my eyes and just as I was about to fall into sleep, he stirred again. I opened my eyes and found me staring into his. Is something wrong? He silently asked. I replied with a smile.

"I'm fine...Good morning."

I barely recognized my voice, and to make matters worse he seemed to steal what was left of it with a gentle kiss. My mind swam in confusion. There was no way he would make an advance on me like that.

He must be half-asleep. I chuckled at the thought of his reaction once he had fully woken up. No matter how much I insisted on his actions, he would most definitely call me a liar. But that was fine with me. After all, it was a memory only I would have to myself.

...Like the many I had.

A few weeks had passed since the doctors had come to see us, and I was beginning to get a little impatient. Huffing silently to myself, I pondered about what I was going to do to bring my plans into action. I would need something precious of theirs...Something they would most definately want back, to lure them in. Instantly my mind, and my eyes turned toward Joshua, who had once again closed those brilliant blue eyes of his. They had tried so hard to keep his made-up life...Why would they let him go so easily? It didn't make sense to me.

Unless they were expecting this. Did they allow us to escape on purpose? Was this just a test?

If that were the case, then I had to put what I loved most--who I loved the most--on the line. Again I began to stare at the brunette, taking in his features. The angry red scratch on his cheek was still there, oozing precious blood down his face. What if he got hurt? Not only by security, but what if I hurt him in some way?

My mind flashed back to one of the first times we had seen each other in over eleven years. I was able to hurt him then...I was angry at him, for leaving me behind...I drove nails into his skin. I made him bleed so much on that day...All that life was drained...And yet I still wanted more. I wanted to bathe in his crimson blood, only his. That way he would never leave me, he would always be one with me.

But...Even after all of that, he still kept coming back. Something in the back of his mind told him he needed to see me, needed to find something out. And he still hasn't found his memories.

Perhaps sending him back to the asylum as bait would help with that. Perhaps, if he entered the right room, it would trigger his memory.

But he would have to go alone. Could I really leave him again?