Chapter Thirteen: Identification

“Let me go before I do something you'll regret! I mean it! DON'T MAKE ME GET MY MOP!”

Amberlynn managed to kick one of the workers in front of her in the face, despite the fact she was being restrained by three more men. The patient and I started in horror as they jabbed a strange-looking syringe into her skin. Amberlynn's struggling lessened to almost nothing, and to both our surprise, they let her go.

That's when She dropped to her knees, grabbing fistfuls of her hair.

“Amber!” I shouted, reaching forward only to be stopped by the cold hand of the patient behind me. I turned around to see him shaking his head.

Then, came the piercing scream. At that moment, I felt the sadness...The agony of being alone. Everything she had bottled up inside...It had all been forced out of her.

Was it the effects of the mystery drug?

“Amberlynn, what's wrong!?” I asked, reaching out a hand.

“G-Get away! Go away!” She screamed, shaking her head this way and that, screaming the same words over and over again.

I glanced at the patient as he stared at his sister with a sullen expression on his face. I growled in frustration.

“Can't you see she's suffering? Do something, Vi!” I shouted, using the name Emily had generously given him.

“I can't...” He said, staring wide eyed at the scene. “I can't...move...”

“What do you mean 'you can't move'?! You have legs, don't you!? Protect her!” I screamed.

Washington had awoken and was now reaching for the gun in his holster, finding it missing. He cursed under his breath and ran into the forest, looking for something to fight with.

That was when I realized I was the one with the weapon.

But could I do it? Could I kill an enemy to save a friend?

I looked to Amber, watching as she repeatedly chanted 'no' over and over...Shaking her head, bloodying her throat with hoarse screams of pure terror.

I looked to the guards, screaming orders, pointing this way and that, arranging them to catch every single one of us.

Washington, who had leapt onto the back of an enemy and was now positioning a large rock over the back of his head.

Emily, cowering against a tree and hugging her precious bear as our enemies closed in on her. Her voice but a small squeak as tears flowed down to her cheeks.

And finally, I met eyes with the patient. The first spark of emotion in his eyes since we had met. An expression of confusion, fear...

And sadness.

He was worried. We were the closest he had to a family. Of course he was worried.

So, to answer my previous question...Yes. Because Vi's family was my family.

...Not because I like him or anything. That would be stupid.

Why? Why is it stupid to love someone?”

I shook my head and reached for the gun in my pocket, checking the ammunition. Two bullets. The inner argument would have to wait.

I drew my gun, aimed at the two surrounding Emily. I only had one shot at this. If I missed, I was open to an attack.

My entire body shook with both fear and adrenaline. Ever so slowly, I pulled back the trigger, making sure to hold my breath to keep the aim steady.