"I'm sorry," was all Dovi could muster.

"When the birds come to us, you must call on your Mirror Dovi. Let his essence appear besides you. Use your Rhist. I will create a portal. Send Movi through the portal when Ruenwall comes for you." Tuck choked down a hacking cough.

Craeve's prone form groaned and kicked out weakly with one leg.

"When Ruenwall is through, I will create a second portal. Take Nemi with you." Tuck nodded once.

"We can't leave you here. We won't. Come with us," said Dovi.

"No, I must stay to close the portal behind you. Otherwise Craeve will follow you through," said Tuck.

Nemi stood and shook her head. Tears streamed down her face.

"Nemi can't leave here. You told her so," said Dovi.

"Trust me. Now both of you, be ready. Do what I said when the birds obscure. Do not look back when it is time to go." Tuck took Dovi's hand. His eyes flashed from deep red to sky blue.

Dovi was on his feet. He reached out and kept his Rhist at arms length.

The blood dripping from Tuck's belly changed from red to glowing blue. His hands stiffened and his head arced back against a rigid spine.

Dovi watched as the birds pivoted up and away from the ground, leaving a befuddled Ruenwall down on one knee. The birds swooped as one, and rushed with pinpoint precision to swirl and whirl about them.

"Now Dovi," called Tuck.

He called his Source to him. He flooded himself with Rhist. In an instant, Movi was there beside him, eager and willing. The birds continued to fly around them, creating a hollow within the spinning wall of feathers. From within the birds became translucent, as ghosts, but Dovi trusted that Tuck had kept them hidden from Ruenwall.

"Movi, seek the portal," said Dovi.

Movi leaped through into the open dale, and nearly ran headlong into Ruenwall. The large man swiped at Movi, but was a bit too slow, and Movi dashed across the slick grass.

Dovi watched as a shimmering light appeared at the edge of the dale. The air was sliced, as a blue line opened a black doorway. Ruenwall chased Movi. He closed the gap between them.

Craeve cried out, "No."

Ruenwall watched Movi leap through the gateway, and without hesitation, followed him through.

Tuck interlocked his fingers, flexed them out, and then shuddered with exhaustion.

Dovi's communication with Movi flickered away. The doorway disappeared. The birds scattered into nearby trees.

Craeve tossed about on the ground and mumbled, "No, no Ruenwall."

Before Dovi knew it had happened, a Rhist forged dagger appeared in his hand. He eyed Craeve with bitter hatred. She should pay for what she's done.

Dovi looked to Nemi. She looked at her Mother on the ground and held a shaking hand in front of her mouth. I can't. I'm no killer.

Tuck groaned deeply. "Not much time. Go, now. Leave her. I will handle Craeve."

"Tuck, I love you," said Nemi, as she reluctantly took Dovi's hand.

"Watch over him," said Tuck.

Gearda emerged from inside the cottage as Dovi and Nemi turned to leave. The spider sprayed a covering of Rhist over the massive Waelgeugan, who lay still just off to the left of the cottage. The spider continued to makes its way towards Tuck and Craeve, both still lying upon the sodden grass.

Tuck once again used his Rhist and opened another doorway with his Rhist.

"Where will it take us? Where is Ruenwall?" asked Dovi.

"What does the lake do?" asked Tuck. He smiled warmly. "We all must walk our own path."

With that, Dovi nodded, and stepped through portal, hand in hand with Nemi.

As they crossed the threshold, darkness consumed them. Breath came with much difficulty. All contact with Nemi was cutoff. He was alone. I do not know who I am right now. How could I feel alone if I cannot feel who I am?

Dovi turned his head away from the darkness and peered behind him. His breath caught in his throat.

A horizon of light tumbled against a vast black veil that surrounded him. A rolling, churning splice of light, of life, sped ever forward, and dropped away in the same instance. I should not be here, ahead of this.

There was a longing of acceptance, of wanting to be with the illuminating flow. It coursed through Dovi and gathered cozily around his heart.

Dovi wrenched his head away, closed his eyes and crossed his arms across his chest. And so he fell back into the void at a breakneck speed. Time and space blurred, then faded to darkness. He was lost, cast adrift, spinning out of control. What have I done?