Liberation

The last stake pierced Longbeard's forehead. A thunderous clap resonated through the clearing. Three trees blazed to life. Bark, limb and leaf sizzled and crackled with blue light. Tree roots became molten and bubbled their way to the surface, brushing aside decades of sleep. Snaking networks of power entwined and formed a rising ladder that soared high above the forest's canopy. Black cinders rained down, driven by a heavy downdraft gale. 

Dovi tried to avert his eyes, but they no longer responded to his command. He had lost all control, becoming a pawn in some malicious scheme beyond his comprehension. All my life has led to this. I'm sorry. I didn't know. I didn't know. He convulsed as a hooded figure, cloaked in dark crimson, stepped upon the ladder. Rungs flared golden. Inhuman, murderous cries filled the air. Exhilaration fueled by abomination coursed through Dovi's veins. He became rage. He longed for revenge. Endless ages of torment, frustration, and suffering burst forth.  

The crimson man descended the ladder, then turned and reached towards the Greigen, and called upon their bindings. The forest floor buckled and quaked. Great rock shards pushed through to the surface. Dark currents rippled upon the Greigen's bindings. The beasts shrieked in agony. Shackles turned black, sizzled and smoked.

"Ante Belucanum Sweorbag," called the hooded man.

One by one, the Greigen were unfettered. Pulsing, purple power arced to each tree's base, coursed through upturned roots and turned the ladder into a raging inferno. Magnillion dashed across the clearing, and handed the Weccan Rung to the now flaming figure upon the stair. Upon their exchange, Magnillion was bucked across the clearing, landing hard upon his back. The purple conflagration ascended the ladder and stopped at eye level with Rabby's body. The fiery figure reached back with the iron. Not a rung. My god, it's a spike. The flaming man hammered his arm forward, and plunged the black spike through Rabby's heart.

Dovi was engulfed by blinding light and lifted off the ground. Craeve's vise-like grip upon his hands kept him from oblivion. Woe and pain. Sorrow and fear. Dovi felt them in their purest of forms. He touched death, but was not cradled in its arms. "Not yet, my sweet," said Craeve in her purring voice. "Soon. Soon you'll taste death's sweet kiss."

Dovi's eyes became Rabby's once again. The living flame morphed back to human form, dropped quickly down the ladder and paced upon the forest floor.

Magnillion, having recovered his senses, edged down upon a knee and dropped his head in deference. "Ruenwall, I'm here to serve. My life is yours. Your life is the center of my being. Do with me as you will."

Ruenwall stretched out his nearly seven feet and threw back his scarlet hood. Heavy creases and thin fleshly folds sagged upon his aged, ancient face. Gray eyes shone with knowledge, with power, with arrogance, and without a hint of pity. Hair was tied behind him, leaving his broad back covered in long streaks of silver and black. Broad shoulders and a thick, muscled neck gave him an air of authority and strength, despite the years upon him.

"Where is she? Craeve? It's been too long. I've missed her," said Ruenwall, his deep voice carrying across the clearing.

Ruenwall and Magnillion looked to the sky as the third Greigen screeched and entered the clearing. The beast flew awkwardly. Wings beat raggedly. The creature seemed to plummet rather than glide towards the ground. One last great thrust of its wings prevented it from slamming hard into the forest floor.

Dovi watched it all unfold. Monti was a mangled mess, covered head to toe with blood. His father railed about, struggling to free himself from the Greigen's grasp.

"The last piece of our puzzle?" Ruenwall asked Magnillion.

"Craeve is working this through. She has the boy. She'll return as soon as the ceremony is complete," said Magnillion.