On the Move

The common room at The Boggen still looked rather common. The crowd of miscreants had thinned and the stragglers remaining stared deeply into the depths of their cups. Long tables remained upturned. Squat backed chairs were scattered about, but all managed to retain their four legs. Wrenly Topp blew foam off the top of a tall tankard and handed it to Rabby of all people, who smiled eagerly at his boon. Becca served The Monster a steaming bowl of what smelled like minced lamb stew. A half empty pitcher of dark brown beer sat next to a clay mug his father kept close at hand.

Dovi's stomach wailed, protesting its callous mistreatment. When was the last time I ate something?

Longbeard's face, however, was clearly one thing in the common room that was not in order, looking like nasty, decaying things found under a rock. Both eye sockets and the bridge of his nose were bruised a purplish red. Wrinkled forehead was nicked in two places, leaving the folds of sagging flesh above his eyebrows awash with scarlet coloring. His pride and joy, the beard, was a disheveled, sodden mess. Stringy chips of beef, pasty chunks of potato and a squashed carrot slice clung to it as if he had regurgitated his meal. He sat with his hands tucked tightly under his armpits as Mac interrogated him from across the table.

Wulfgen, lost in the deep shadows of his hood, skulked across the room and sat next to Magnillion, who was spreading thick wads of honey butter over fresh baked bread. The old man tapped his foot as the long faced, flaxen haired lute player strummed away to Escren's somber Echoes from the Labyrinth, a favorite of Master Puck.

Dovi joined Rabby at a small table close to the bar.

"Another round of stew for my boy," said Monti, motioning to Becca. "And half a pint of Boar's Back Tap." Monti smiled and shoveled a heaping spoonful of stew in his mouth.

"So what happened? Shouldn't we be going? We've wasted enough time," said Dovi. Am I the only one who is sane enough to see the danger in waiting around?

Rabby took a huge swig of ale and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "My dad says we have to eat. Says it's going to be a while before we stop on the road. Keep your arse still and relax. Might be the last hot meal we get for who knows how long. This is absolutely delicious." He raised the tankard and took two more long gulps, then belched without care.

"Well, what happened?" He cast a sideways glance at the older man.

"Pummeled all four of them something good. The three with Longbeard were no-necked head-crackers; were dumber then stumps. Your dad shattered one's arm at the elbow and broke the biggest moron's wrist. My dad beat the other into next week. Longbeard surprisingly fared the best out of all of them. That old tin can is one cagey scrapper."

"Seems unfair. My dad stiffs him, then beats the snot out of him to boot." Dovi shuddered as Longbeard's head whipped around towards him. He had the look of a beaten man, but his gray eyes kept their fierceness. A fire still rages in that one.

"Your dad said Longbeard was lying. Said there was no Rhist deal."

"Oh, so now the Monster tells the truth?" whispered Dovi. How could you sympathize with him?

"Seemed pretty convincing to me. Won't sleep on him though. I got your back." Rabby finished off his ale and took a deep, satisfied breath.

"Another who's got my back? Listen to what happened upstairs. Wulfgen near as much threatened me if I follow my father's guidance. Got a really bad vibe," said Dovi while sneaking a peek over at the prince.

"Knew I didn't like the way he looked at you. Eyed you like a hunk of meat. Got to keep our heads on a swivel. Feel like my dad is the only one we can trust." Rabby shook his head.

Becca emerged from the back room with Dovi's plate of steaming stew and a small mug of beer.

Dovi did his best to hide his saucer sized eyes as she bent low in front of him. "Thank you," he said flatly and flashed an innocent smile. Oh my lord!

"It was all my pleasure," she teased, then turned and sauntered away.

"Can you believe her? Wow," said Rabby, nearly falling off his chair as she walked away.

Dovi polished off his stew and downed as much of the bitter beer as he could.

Mac negotiated with Wrenly Topp on securing provisions for the road.

"Finally." Dovi breathed a sigh of relief. Let's get moving people. I'd love to stay and watch Becca all day, but she's not worth getting killed over.

"How long you think we'll be away?" asked Rabby.

"I don't ever want to go back. Nothing left for me in Wroughton Grove. You, on the other hand, will be back before you know it. Once your dad and the prince worked things out, you'll be back at the Academy and be on your way to becoming a Knight Elite. Once Prince Wulfgen takes the Crown, he'll probably make you the newest link in the King's Iron Circle."

"You think?" asked Rabby.

"You'll be fine. Stop worrying," said Dovi while stifling a yawn.

"Boys, give me a hand with this gear," called Mac.

"You all owe old Topper one now. I'm losing my skin on most of this stuff and now I've got to make an extra resupply trip." The large barman did not look entirely happy to say the least.

"We'll make it up to you next time," said Monti.

"Won't be holding my breath. Count on that," huffed Wrenly.

Mac weighed Dovi and Rabby down with bulging sacks, waterskins, a cooking pot and a small length of rope.

Dovi's narrow frame nearly buckled under the weight. Definitely not made to be a pack animal. Just like all the adventure stories, always with the rope. Hope this one doesn't end up around my neck.

When they finished their goodbyes to Topp and Becca and gathered by the door to leave, Dovi was surprised to see Longbeard being led over towards them.

"Um, what's he doing?" asked Dovi.

"Rakku here has graciously volunteered to broker a deal for us up in Dwolcraeft Denn. I've burned more bridges there than I can count, so we need him. It's plain and simple as that," said Monti with a decidedly agitated tone.

Rakku picked bits of potato out of his beard, sniffed one particularly large chunk, then popped it in his mouth. Yellow teeth flashed in a satisfied grin.

"I don't get it. Why do we need his help? We can't take these chances. Just a few minutes ago, h-he wanted you dead. How can we trust him to do anything? And why Dwolcraeft?" Dovi did his best to keep his composure.

A dagger suddenly flashed in Monti's hand. "Can't leave him behind. This old devil is tagged to every cutthroat, jack-hollow, bootlicker, and swindler from a hundred miles round here. His blood is on your hands - if you don't want him in the deal. What you say boy?" He wagged the dagger in front of Dovi's face and sucked his spit through his teeth.

Dovi looked to Rabby and Mac for an easy out. He was waist deep, sinking in a quagmire, and neither even sniffed his way. Looks like you're on your own with this one, big mouth. No way I'm killing Longbeard. I just can't do it. He did nothing to me.

"Well, what's it gonna be Dovinicus?" prompted the Monster.

"Eh, I guess if you burned your bridges. We have no choice." Dovi studied the floor.

The Monster laughed. "Well, the boss has approved. Let's be on our way."

Rakku winked at Dovi as they left The Boggen. The old man's knowing smile sent a chill up his spine. Another person added to the trust no one list, and this one may actually be slotted first. Better keep a close eye on the old man.

"Let's keep to the woods. We've got about two hours till dawn. There's a small shelter about ten miles north. We can reach it before sunup. I'm sure Rakku knows it. Still there?" asked Monti.

"Was there two weeks ago. I stuck some nosy bastard in the belly who was creeping around. Hopefully somebody moved the body or it's gonna smell like unwashed arse. Haven't washed mine in three years! Want a sniff boy?" Rakku asked Dovi, then cackled. "Was a fat one I stuck. Wasn't gonna mess my back up pulling that tub away."