The Storm

Gray storm clouds raged past Dovi and Nemi as they raced across the meadow. Whipping gales screamed down from the mountainside, snapping tree branches behind them. Black hail pelted down and quickly turned the green grass to pitch.

Tuck met them half way across the dale. "To the cottage. Don't leave no matter what you hear or see," he screamed atop the piercing tumult.

Not needing any prodding, the two lowered their heads and made their way towards the cottage.

As they reached the porch, Gearda sped past them and launched herself into a mesmerizing dance. Eight legs worked at a furious pace, twisting, contorting, and spinning faster and faster. Gearda blurred and her spidery form wavered into a pulsating arc of Rhist. With a thunderclap, a blinding blue web rippled out in undulating waves of power, stretching far and wide, and settled as an unwavering shield surrounding the cottage.

Nemi screamed and moved to run back out into the meadow. "Tuck! No, I can't let you. Please, don't do this."

Bisby appeared from within the cottage and wrapped a strong arm around her waist. "No, my dear. We can do nothing for him. Do what he said. You would not survive a minute out there." He pressed harder upon writhing arms and pulled her against his chest.

"What is it? What's happening?" asked Dovi.

"Breach. We've been breached. Day has become night. Light has become dark. I'm sorry Dovi, but there is no more time," said Bisby.

"What do you? If we help Tuck, we can stop whatever is happening. I've found my Rhist now. I can lend my strength to Tuck." Dovi dashed off the porch and ran towards the scintillating blue force.

"Dovi, don't!" called Bisby.

Dovi pushed against the sparkling dome of energy and was shattered into a billion tiny specks. His entire being became flux and flow, rippling and cascading across Gearda's web of protection. Time, form, and perception were lost to him. He floated on a sea of blue nothingness. In the next instant, his legs were bent and covered with hair, two eyes became eight. He reached out with mind, desperate to clutch some former semblance of himself. Slowly, the spider essence ebbed away and he felt himself pulled back into Dovinicus MaCabre.

His eyes opened once more to see Nemi, bathed in blue light. Her hands gesticulating above him.

"No more foolishness. She can't afford to waste any more of her power," scolded Bisby, as he reached down and pulled Dovi to his feet. "Be prepared to do as I say. Do nothing else. There is nothing more we can do."

Thunder crackled near the lake. The ground rumbled, quivered and quaked. Nemi's eyes cried, but shed no tears. Bisby placed a steadying hand upon each of their shoulders. A rising wail sent shudders down Dovi's spine. With each increasing decibel, so too rose an unworldly wave from where the lake once lay still. The tidal blackness soared above the twisted remains of trees, and rushed into the dale.

Tuck stood still upon the open field, with arms slack at his side.

"Tuck!" screamed Nemi. "Don't do this..."

"Tuck!" screamed Dovi, with tears rushing down his face.

The wailing cry reached a crescendo, as the face of the wave turned its likeness human and crashed down on Tuck in the middle of the dale.

"Ruenwall. They promised me," whispered Bisby.

The wave surged down. Raging black churned and roiled. Tuck raised his arms and embraced the crushing force. The power of the massive wave rolled over him, but upon impact, Ruenwall's aqueous face twisted in agony. The wave pulled back. Tuck resurfaced with hands raised, a blue shield of light glowing before them.