Drifting

Dovi begged the others for a moment alone. Craeve has answers.

"Shouldn't let him out of our sight. Puts everything at risk," said Wulfgen through gritted teeth. "Only an idiot would let the boy move about unattended." The prince grabbed Monti by the arm and tried pulling him to the side of the clearing.

Monti jerked his arm away and held his ground. "Don't put your hands on me again. Show proper respect. A moment to grieve is not much to ask."

Wulfgen's face reddened. "I won't forget this insolence. One minute, as long as he stays within earshot. One second more and I'll drag him back by his ear. I swear it, if anything goes awry, it's on your head Montiverus."

"Just give the boy to Belesarum or whatever else is hunting us. You're mad." Rakku spat in Monti's direction.

"One minute is not much to ask for," added Magnillion. He gave Dovi a quick nod. Magnillion guided Wulfgen away from Dovi.

"Remember what's out there," said Monti. The worry in his eyes spoke volumes. He fidgeted around the clearing, then grabbed Dovi roughly by the arm. His chest rose. "I swear, if you pull anything, you will be sorry. No games. One minute."  He squeezed and Dovi recoiled in pain.

"Such a kind father. A moment alone is so much to ask. You wouldn't know what it's like to lose a friend." Dovi pushed through the thick underbrush. I hate him.

The last bit of daylight waned as he emerged atop an unfamiliar gully. Don't remember seeing this on our way up.

A stiff breeze sent dry leaves rustling into the steep depression. A black cat paced, then sat at the edge of a black crevasse stretching across the center of the small gulch. I don't like the looks of this, but I want answers. Dovi half-fell and half-slid down into the earthen hollow. When he righted himself, Craeve, in human form, was seated with legs dangling over the edge of the black opening.

"Who killed Rabby? I know you know. Tell me. He didn't deserve to die, and especially not that way. Was it you?"

"First things first." Craeve raised her hand, held rigid fingers towards the ground, and made slow circles in the air. "Ante Unhelian Sul. Api-ostrian." She dropped her hand to her side and patted the ground next to her, motioning for Dovi to sit. "There, now we shan't be disturbed by your bumbling bodyguards. They've made it so much more difficult for me to protect you. Do you realize how hard it is to keep a bog reaver under control?"

"Bog reaver? You controlled it? You killed the Kingsmen?" Dovi narrowed his eyes and twisted his mouth in disgust.

"Well, it wasn't me, silly. Animal mind control is more like prodding and pushing them in the proper direction. You let instincts take over when you have them where you want them. Human flesh is not my thing." She pouted her lips in mock disappointment. "I hoped you knew me better."

Movement at the top of the rise drew Dovi's eyes. He inhaled sharply and pointed at Longbeard lingering by the edge of the gully.

"Damn them. I've only been gone for thirty seconds." Dovi cracked his neck to the side.

Craeve grabbed Dovi's arm and pulled his hand towards her. "Told you not to worry about those fools. Can't see or hear us. I've willed them to not come down here. Now, what have you done to your hands? Such a mess."

Dovi tried to pull his hand away, but Craeve held it tight. "Don't do anything to my hands. They'll know somebody healed them when I go back."

"Back? Who said anything about you going back? I told you I'd keep Belesarum off your arse until it was time for you to come with me." She flashed a devious smile.