Swarm

Dovi glanced back as they trotted away from Wroughton Grove. He left without fanfare, without well wishes, and without much other than the clothes on his back. Sir Maclinton Maggutton stood rigidly and merely nodded as he passed. Mrs. Maggutton hovered at the kitchen window, then disappeared. Rabby never bothered to show. Some friend. Just like all the rest. It's best to leave anyway. Nothing left. Put the pain behind. Things can only get better.

Falfergast remained a mystery. His voice shook as he pressed a few Kingsmen who had a gentle look about them, but they turned him away.

The Rhistlock Maeges eyed him with disdain each time he glanced their way. I swear, if it wasn't for Belesarum, these bastards might just slit my throat. Keep your guard up.

The small group wound their way past acres of farmland, several wretched smelling cow pastures and rolling green hillocks dotted with black and white sheep. The gentle swaying of his dapple gray warmblood and the lack of conversation sent Dovi into deep introspection.

What would Professor Puck think now? Surely, his scholarship had been revoked. He could hear Lebonicus and his boys laughing; the freak Dovinicus was taken away in chains by Belesarum. 'The piss boy needed to be put away and locked up for good'. It's just as well all that mess of a life is left behind. The Monster would soon become a distant memory; wouldn't be able to hurt him anymore. Rabby had turned on him when he needed him most. He didn't need anyone. Things would change. He would find help at Falfergast. When he had his Rhist, he would go back and show Lebonicus what a true Rhistmaege can do. This is the break I've been waiting for-

"Boy! Boy, I knew you were dumb, but you deaf too?" Dovi shook himself out of his daze. Tretch was standing next to him, holding his horse's reins. "Didn't you see everyone stop? You damn near rode me over. If Belesarum wasn't here, I'd stick your head up this beast's arse until you turned blue. Get off the damn horse and take a break like the rest of us."

Dovi dismounted, took the reins and made his way over to a copse of thick pines.

"Don't go far, little runt. We're watching," called Morvick Cassp, the Rhistlock maege with the skeletal tattoos.

Dovi marked the man well. He would be first to pay. "Yes sir, I'm glad I have all of you watching my back," called Dovi in the kindest voice he could muster.

The Rhistlock maeges shook their heads and laughed.

The Kingsmen sat in small groups of four or five. Swords, crossbows and daggers were kept close at hand. A full platoon to protect me. More like prison guards.

Dovi's stomach rumbled, sending him rifling through his saddlebags for something to eat. Mrs. Maggutton's cinnamon cakes. Tell me Rabby ate them.

He reached deep into the leather satchel, pushing aside long strips of dried beef and hard crusty bread. No cinnamon cakes. Bastard did eat them. What's this? His hand closed upon a small square of parchment. Another useless letter? He moved to the far edge of the pines and pretended to relieve himself. He unfolded the note:

Falfergast is the Crown's Rhistmill. Belesarum means to tap your Rhist. They're going to milk you like a bell cow. They don't plan on bringing you back. Find a way out.

"Now what do we have here?" snapped Belesarum, as he snatched the note from Dovi. The maege read it quickly, then tossed it to the ground.

"Maggutton boy thought he could put one over on me. Idiot thought he could circumvent my Mindtap. I'm a sentimental old dog, but this won't do. Treason against the Crown is punishable by death. Maclinton, that smug bastard, will be locked up in Fentbottom for twenty."