Visitor

It all happened so fast. Eyes lingered on the blade no longer in Rabby's possession.

Magnillion released his flame, casting them into darkness. By the gods, what has happened to Rabby?

Monti and Wulfgen unsheathed long blades. Monti stalked from tree to tree, searching their upper reaches. Wulfgen splashed through calf-deep pools, slipped across a muddy causeway, before finally settling behind a triple trunked juniper.

Dovi pulled Rabby's dagger from the muck just as Magnillion ushered him behind a decaying water ash. Leafhoppers and spittlebugs dashed away from the disturbance. "Stay here. Keep your wits," said Magnillion. He traced fingers across the back of his forearm.

Dovi tightened his grip on Rabby's dagger as the sulfur scent grew to a near noxious level.

Longbeard rose from a heavy fern patch, raised a small dagger behind his ear and let it fly towards the top of a massive mountain ash.

The night sky took flight. A cloaking blackness shifted, then swept through the swamp's upper canopy. The shifting pitch dove down, leaving a smoking trail of sulfur hissing and burning amongst the ferns where Longbeard hid. The grizzled man cried out in pain. The shapeless form bolted north, then stopped to face them. Two silver eyes flared. Dovi willed himself to keep looking. Bile kissed the top of his throat. What crippling beast is this? Please somebody make it go. By the gods make it leave here now.

The creature locked upon Dovi's gray eyes and burned his mind. A pulsing force rocked him off his feet and onto the flat of his back. He struggled to rise from the swampy morass, as a searing conflagration exploded into his mind. One by one, molten letters were forged with fire, staining his psyche with foulness. The pain was unbearable. Each blasphemous letter smote his soul. Liquid silver letters sprung to life right before his very eyes: "ANTEN ANETH ENTVICTUS." When the last letter appeared, steam erupted from the shallow water in which he lay. He lifted stinging hands into the air. 'Anten Aneth Entvictus' was branded upon his palms.

The beast turned, pumped massive wings and streaked away towards the northeast.

Magnillion was first to Dovi's side and pulled him up to a sitting position. "By the gods, you've been marked."

Wulfgen and Monti visibly started at his seared palms.

"What? What was it? What did it do? What does this mean?" asked Dovi, through gritted teeth. The blistering pain lessened to a dull throbbing.

"A foul thing indeed. I've only seen it in old books. You've been marked by a Soulfuric Burn. A Greigenharre - the Brimstonian Blackcape. Malice incarnate. Someone or something of great power directed it to do this." Magnillion shook his head.

"Will it be back?" asked Wulfgen. "Do we have a way to stop it if it does?"

"I do not know," said Magnillion flatly.

"What do the markings say?" asked the Monster. He knelt at Dovi's side and put an arm around his shoulder.

"Anten, Aneth, Entvictus. I've read this before, in a most vile text. It is from the Giedd Necromanticus, a cryptic tome written by a sorcerer who blackened his hands on corpses much as a gardener blackens his with soil. Lithgar En' Kallan, a powerful Necromancer. These words mean: Damnation calls, Damnation answers, No longer Master of your own Fate," replied Magnillion. His face visibly sagged and he chewed upon his lower lip. "It is a very old calling. Comes with power from behind The Veil. Its use, is to revive the dead, at the cost of the marked one's life."

Dovi's eyes shifted wildly from person to person. He received distant looks in return.

"Don't worry. We'll find help in Dwolcraeft Denn. Promise," said Monti.

A few feet away, Longbeard finally stirred from the fern patch and slogged his way over to them. He held his hands across the top of his head. Gray hair was seared black in splotchy patches. A thin dotted burn ran from temple to ear. "Nearly singed my beard off. This one here is more trouble than he's worth." He wagged a finger at Dovi. "How we supposed to unlock his Rhist now? Nobody will touch him now. Nobody will even look at him." He stalked away from the group.

"Can this be fixed? Reversed? Do you know a way?" asked Wulfgen to Magnillion. "We must find a way to tap his Rhist if we've any chance at gaining The Crown."

"Stop! Just stop. Stop talking about me as if I'm some bell cow being taken to market. I'm tired of this. Tired of all of it. I want out. Want to be rid of all of you. None of you give a damn about me. None of you ever have. I'm not some damn vial of Rhist. Damn it, I've had enough." Dovi pushed himself up and stormed off.

"Dovi, it's not like that," said the Monster.

Dovi kept his back to them, wiped away tears and squeezed his eyes tight. It's always been like that, so you can just kiss my arse. I know why you're here with me now.

Dovi kept his distance and watched the others mill about for the next half hour. The fresh morning light did little to lessen the load weighing heavily upon his mind. He looked at the words on his palms. I've gotten myself into a real mess. My life could be nearing its end, and I've done nothing. What a waste of time. I should have left Wroughton Grove long ago.

The others bickered in hushed tones, thinking he couldn't hear. Wulfgen and the Monster nearly came to blows. Everything was falling apart. He feared to ask about the Greigenharre. It had Rabby. Dovi knew it was true.  Before I go anywhere with these conniving bastards, I'm going to find out what happened to Rabby.

"All of you. Hey, listen. Listen to me! I've got something to say." Dovi glared at the others, approaching with gritty determination. Keep your edge. Don't let them intimidate you. You have what they need.

"Before we move on to Dwolcraeft Denn; before we go anywhere, we search for Rabby. This Greigenharre had his blade. It wanted us to see it. Rabby is the only friend I've ever known, and I won't desert him. I owe him. Don't try to change my mind. I'm going after him, with or without your help."

Wulfgen eyed him with contempt. Magnillion's gaze was softer, filled with pity. Longbeard oozed disgust. The Monster kept the fake smile pressed upon his face. You'd think his son was awarded the medal of gallantry with the way he beamed. You'll get none of my Rhist. Ever.

"But the meeting," began Wulfgen.

"I don't give a damn about that meeting. I don't care if my Rhist lays dormant until you bury me. I told you. I'm done- until I find out about Rabby." Dovi seethed at Wulfgen. I don't care if you actually were the Prince of Avrenhalde. I don't care one bit.

"Now, now, we're all exhausted from pushing our way through this forsaken bog. Let's not be hasty. Can't press on without rest. Facing the Greigenharre dead on our feet will do nothing to help Rabby. Let's rest for a few hours, then decide what to do," said Magnillion. He flashed a pleading smile at Dovi.

They don't get it. "I told you. I've made up my mind. I'm going after Rabby. I agree we need some rest- but we will follow this Blackcape thing."

"Okay, but remember, Belesarum and Craeve are out there. Can't dawdle around like widows picking white woolyblossoms. I'll give the boy master here one day. If he wants another, well, then I'll be kindly on my way," said Longbeard with a sniff.

"We'll find him," added Monti.

Dovi ignored the Monster's boast. Ignored the rest of their inane chattering, and carried himself away to the driest scratch of land he could find. Let the others worry about setting watch. Let them expend their energy watching over the golden goose. Dovi let go of all the nagging thoughts and gnawing questions, and quickly succumbed to a fitful slumber.