The Hooded Man

"This is impossible. The same exact person?" Dovi propped himself up on his elbows and tucked his pillow behind his back.

Nemi meandered over to Bisby's nightstand, picked up a warbler-shaped smoking pipe and sniffed deeply into it. "Maybe just a coincidence? Hooded men are all the rage these days in Avrenhalde, aren't they? Hooded men are always so dashing, so debonair...I'd love to meet one behind an oak tree one day." She placed the pipe down and sat down upon Bisby's bed.

Dovi shook his head in frustration. "Sometimes I wonder if it's you or the squirrel inside who's in charge. Focus. It's important."

"Tuck said something, what was it? Oh, he said the Hooded Man was, my- my- oh, yes, my Mahtii. I think that was the word. Said I shouldn't have see him. Said nearly everyone is oblivious to it. Nearly everyone lives and dies without seeing it."

"Did he say why you saw it?" Dovi pulled his legs up and wrapped his arms around his knees.

"I'm highly gifted and have rare talents. You on the other hand, most likely dumb luck." She smiled and twirled a finger in her hair. "Okay, seriously, he said I got caught on a "fractal void...and tore a hole...in- in the veil of my reality. Whatever that means."

The Mahtii. Orbillister Puck said something about students being lost with their Mahtii. All are hopeless prisoners to your Mahtii. What exactly did he mean? Ugh, I should have paid more attention.

"Hello? Anyone in there?" asked Nemi, waving a hand in front of Dovi's face.

"Yes, geez, I'm thinking. I know it's a foreign concept to you." Dovi kicked the covers away and dropped his head back to his pillow.

"Hmph. So that's the thanks I get." Nemi crossed her arms and pushed out her bottom lip.

"Thank you. It was very helpful." He ran his fingers through his hair. "So what happened? Can you still see him? Did Tuck tell you what to do about him?"

"No, I don't see him anymore. I killed him."

"What! How'd you do that?" Dovi sat up and grabbed Nemi by the arm.

"It's complicated. I can't explain, and if I could, I wouldn't. Some things are best left for Tuck Sooth to tell. Stuck my neck out enough already. No more questions. You're supposed to be resting. I'm going to have a snack." She yanked her arm away, dug into her pants pocket and began nibbling on some nuts.

"Tell me. I promise I won't tell Tuck." He held his palms pleadingly in front of his chest.

"N-o. No."

"Great, now I'm being kicked in the nuts, by a nut, eating nuts. Fine." He reached onto the floor, grabbed his pants and began sliding them up past his nightshirt.

"What are you doing? Tuck said to stay put." Nemi shoved the nuts back in her pocket, reached down, grabbed the bottom of his pant leg and started pulling in the opposite direction.

"I want answers. Tuck is going to give me some damn answers. Let go," shouted Dovi. He pulled hard and Nemi fell on top of him all in a heap.

"And, exactly what question am I answering?" called Tuck, as he swung the front door open. Bisby and Tuck entered the room.

Nemi scrambled off of the bed, her face red as a tomato. Dovi looked down in silence.

Tuck continued, "And, what if I refuse to answer, then what?" He walked across the room and stopped at the foot of Dovi's bed.

Bisby cleared his throat and motioned to Nemi that it was time to go. "We've a few juicy cucumbers needing attention."

"I will pay you a visit later Nemi. Seems you need a reminder on how to look after things," said Tuck. A false smile flashed across his face.