Lost in Darkness

The moon's luminescence shimmered atop the dark, still lake. Dovi kicked pebbles into the tranquil water and paced like a Kingsman on patrol. Stray thoughts rained down on him like arrows loosed from a battalion of damned archers.

Why should I care about anyone? Suffered all my life, and now he wants me to act as if nothing ever happened. When do I get justice? When do I get the satisfaction of making them see how wrong they were? Where are the apologies? When does The Monster grovel at my feet, begging for forgiveness? All the mocking. The ridicule. The pain. When does it get taken away? Where was Tuck when I was getting whipped? Where was Tuck when Lebonicus strung me up? He has no right to ask for anything. All I've cared for has been taken. Give me back my mother. Or Rabby. Give me something!

He stormed up to the top of the rise, and sat down on a large boulder. Maybe if I just wander off, they'll all forget about me.

A shadow passed across the moon's face. Dovi lifted his eyes, but was too slow, and whatever it was, had already disappeared into the surrounding night. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to come out here. What did Tuck say to be wary of? Did he even say? I better go back.

He padded quickly across the clearing, and headed for the gravel path. That's odd. Could've sworn the path was right here. He scampered back and forth in front of a thick hedgerow, letting his fingers drift across the prickling branches. Nothing. No opening. He spun back nervously towards the lake to get his bearing, but found only darkness. Some passing clouds must have covered it. I'm sure if I went closer, I would see the water just fine.

Dovi's head snapped towards an explosive cresting of the placid water. He was no longer alone. Something large was there. Something was coming ashore. Sloshing, heavy strides pushed nearer. He tried to push and shove his way through the thick hedge, but the branches bent and bowed to impede his way. The splashing steps grew louder, closer, more forceful. Deluging footfalls rose like waterfalls picked up here and dropped down there, spraying stinging sleet upon Dovi's face. A thirty foot tall swirling flow of putrid smelling water emerged from the mist like a river twisted amongst itself. Rushing current roared around two ice blue glowing orbs that froze Dovi's heart mid-beat.

"Tuck! Tuck Sooth! Bisby! Where are you?" shouted Dovi. He careened across the slippery grass.

The water-wraith made landfall, striking the ground with a shuddering quake. Stray stones and small shards of rock struck Dovi in the back and whistled past his ear. 

"Help! Somebody!" He scrambled away from the approaching rumble. The ground roiled and swayed.

Dovi skittered along the thick vegetation, eyes wild, searching for a way out. Loud cracking, like steps on unstable ice, filled the air. The ground quivered. Deep crevasses snaked across buckling earth. He turned and ran, pumping arms and legs, driving away from the watery demon. Tremors continued, rattling teeth and bone. Faster, move faster.

As he ran a burning sting filled his lungs. His chest sparked, then burst into flames. Fire raged from a glowing orange, to a seething deep crimson. He maniacally beat at his chest, but the flames jumped higher, licking at the bottom of his chin. Charred shirt fell away to ash. His flesh blackened and pealed away like charred strips of meat. Small bits of molten rock burst through his cheek. He burned from within and without. All this pain. I always suffer. My life, suffering.

The ground behind him fell completely away. Fumbling feet spun on suddenly shifting, unsteady grains of sand. The air's icy mist hardened into a clear chamber, encircling Dovi in a glass-like prison. There was no air. The burning flames were snuffed. The water wight lifted up his crystallized cell. Dovi tumbled down into a sucking sea of sand, inhaling coarse grains of silt. He slapped at the smooth walls, then sank deep beneath the choking sand. The walking flowing river merged back with the lake and began to submerge itself once more. All is lost.