Mind Yourself

Tuck is useless. What kind of a response is 'She's been there the whole time. You should have recognized her presence.'? He freaking shrugged his shoulders when I asked if Nemi actually was Craeve's daughter. How much disrespect can one person take?

Dovi bounced between self pity and rage for the better part of three days. He had barely eaten and had refused to leave his quarters. Bisby was still away gathering information, so Dovi took advantage of the dark solitude. Schemes of ditching Tuck and returning to Avrenhalde spun through his head. He would find a better teacher, or a book. I can do this on my own. I've always done things alone. Why change now?

A knock on the door pulled him from his thoughts. Why won't he just go away if he has nothing to teach me?

Dovi threw the door open. It slammed back against the wall.

Nemi sucked in a quick breath and put her hand to her chest. Her eyes narrowed. "Why must you act like a petulant child? The whole "woe is me, angry at the world thingy," is not very attractive. In fact, your self-centered, self-aggrandizing, self-lobotomizing act is wearing rather thin. Tuck called you- 'that twit' when you said his food wasn't fit for a dog. I have to agree with him. When are you going to grow up?"

Dovi felt his skin crawl at her disdainful look. You know she's right. He imagined what he must have looked like answering the door like a wild boar. You're more like a bore, not a boar, you idiot.

"I-I'm sorry Nemi. I didn't mean to startle you." He studied the creases upon his boots.

"Sorry is a start. Not much of one, but it is a start. Now, pull yourself together, wipe that sad sack look off your face, and let's go. I've something I want to show you. Come on, come on. Hurry up. I haven't all day to stand here watching your witlessness." She clapped her hands together.

Dovi looked at the mess he had made of Bisby's quarters. "Just give me a moment to-"

Nemi shook her head and pushed out her lower lip, as if to say don't even think about it.

"Okay then, where are we going?" asked Dovi.

"Must you always need answers to everything?" She whirled about and marched away while laughing to herself.

Dovi followed her out of the dale and despite his protests about the dangers of leaving its safety, found himself standing next to Nemi at the edge of the green lake.

"You do know I almost died out here the other night? It's not a very nice place," said Dovi. He crossed his arms and took a deep breath.

"Do you know what it is?"

"What? The lake? A place better left alone. That much I know. Oh and it's water, just sitting there quietly."

"Yes, now just be like the lake for a moment. Be quiet, and don't disturb me. Promise me, you won't tell Tuck what I'm about to show you." She licked her lips and locked eyes with him.

Dovi felt a shiver run up his spine. He swallowed hard. "I promise."

Nemi closed her eyes, lifted her hands palm down, and let them hover over the lake's still surface.

There was no breeze. No soaring birds. No movement. No sounds. I don't like this. She's Craeve's daughter, and you don't know what she's doing.

The lake's green hue wavered, then shimmered like a thousand twinkling stars plucked from the sky and dropped down for the sole purpose of bringing joy to Dovi's eyes. The sparkling green changed to a dazzling blue. A blue that Dovi had seen before. It was the blue glow of Rhist. And as far as the eye could see, the lake simmered with a beauty and power Dovi had never witnessed before. Flowers of every imaginable color pushed up from beneath the surface. Birds, bees, and butterflies flew and flittered about, bounced and buzzed, flapped and fluttered atop the beaming petals of light.